All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My sad sad tale ....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:46 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: Sport Expedition Extreme - Diesel 173 - Manual
Year/Plate: 2009 / 59
Colour: Thundercloud
Mods: Nerside rearview mirror replaced for with one with blind-spot mirror (genuine Nissan part for an LHD X-Trail), DRLs (proper ones that dim at night), LED sidelights, Front+Rear DashCam
I have a 2009 X-Trail in good condition, always serviced by the local Nissan dealer wher I bought it and in excellent condition.

So - driving along the A3 Autobahn in Germany on Monday at around 75/80mph there was a bang like I hit something.

Pulled over, no sign of damage but a slow drip from underside - pulled forward and it looks like water.

So, decided to move on - but the car has no power at all. So re-started, still no power.

Luckily the next "rasthof" was only a couple of km away - maximum speed 40mph and I managed to get to the rasthof. The engine cut out while I was driving in and would not start again, but I had enough momentum to glide into a parking bay.

Rang Nissan Assist (thank goodness that this comes free with a Nissan service) :thumbs:

Very good - came quickly and recovered the car to the nearest Nissan dealer (who was the first one in Germany) and then took me to a hotel.

Next day I went to the dealer first thing (08:00) and they looked at the car - it seems the exhaust recirculation valve was damaged and something had come off inside and the DPF was clogged (I was surprised at teh DPF as I had never had a warning light and most of my driving was motorway and I had over the past few days driven about 800 miles or so on motorways at a fast speed.

I was there most of the day.

So .... Nissan European Assist found me a hotel for the night and the dealer ordered the parts.

Next day - hoping all would be done I waited. By the evening it was still not ready, so another hotel from Nissan Assist (the first one was full, no more rooms).

Next morning (today) I received a phone call to go to the garage as they needed to explain something to me.....

First bit, done and working - DPF regenerated and seemed to work - but a turbo problem!

The turbo appears to work but the car will not start without some external pressure unit being attached and when started has no power.

The garage are stumped - they don't want to just change the turbo in case it is not the turbo - and they are expensive!

The first bit alone is costing around € 1,500 :bigcry: and a turbo would add € 2,000+ to that. :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

So they have to call a Nissan expert - who is on holiday and back Monday....

I have a hotel for tonight, but the last one Nissan Assist will pay for.

So - I will take a train and visit a friend who lives near Munich for the weekend and hope and pray they can fix the car by Tuesday (when they have to fly to Spain and I have to come back here).

S0 - that's my sorry story.

Oh - and I was on my way out, so holiday not started yet.

Unless anyone has an Idea of what the lack of power problem could be with a turbo that seems to operate OK???

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: My sad sad tale ....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:32 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Fuel return check valve?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:37 am 
Off Roader

Model: T31 2.5 CVT 4wd
Year/Plate: 2011
inlet manifold leak? ... must be at least some hosing connecting turbo, intercooler,manifold? .... can the inlet manifold pressure he measured anywhere easily? to ascertain boost..

Im not familiar at all with the Nissan diesel layout ... but most these days are very similar....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:13 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 144K
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: silver
Mods: Mods? Green stuff 6000 brake pads
Sorry to hear of your woe's John , hope you have a great weekend with your friends and Monday's expert advice helps!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Model: 2.2 Di Sport(T30 - YD22ETI) Trans MT.F6
Year/Plate: Dec 51
Colour: Red AX6
Sorry to hear about your X-Trail John I hope they can soon sort it out for you. Keep us informed how things work out. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:57 am 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Nerside rearview mirror replaced for with one with blind-spot mirror (genuine Nissan part for an LHD X-Trail), DRLs (proper ones that dim at night), LED sidelights, Front+Rear DashCam
Looks like it's done, I am waiting for a phone call to confirm - though the bill is just over € 2,500 :bigcry:

Hopefully I can collect it tomorrow and continue my journey to Slovakia - arriving a week late.

The only good bit is that I spent the weekend with a friend in Bavaria and went to Oktoberfest yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:20 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Lots of Bier, bradwurst und sauerkraut to wash the pain from the bill.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:48 pm 
Off Roader

I dread that sort of thing happening. Did they tell you what it was?

Old enough to know better

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:17 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Location: The Netherlands, Maartensdijk, centre of the country
Car:: Nissan X-Trail
Model: 1.6 Tekna 2 wheel drive
Year/Plate: 2018
Colour: Dark Brown
Mods: Dark brown with broken white upholstery. Tow-hook, fire extinguisher, LED Matrix headlights, LED interior and boot-light, handmade semi leather back-seat cover (dogs), booth-liner, wind deflectors, 4 seasons tires, BOSE audio + sub-woofer, Class 3 alarm
Well John. Gratulations... NOT. It is a bother. And above all, cost you an enormous amount of money... Pffff.... almost an amount to buy another car... Good luck.
Kind regards Wimbo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:44 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Collected it on Tuesday and then immediately did the 1,000km drive from Aschaffenburg to Slovakia.

When I broke down I heard a bump and a jolt and stopped on the side of the autobahn to check.

The only mark, though seems to be a mark on the lower radiator under the main one (not sure what it cools).

They replaced the exaust recirculatory bit and correponding pipework.

The DPF was cleaned as it was blocked - even though I only really do long journeys and have never had a DPF warning lighe, ever.

There was still a lack of power problem and seemed to point at the turbo - but they used a camera to look inside from both ends and it seemed fine. In the end the problem was behind the fromt bumper - there was a hose and a clamp and the clamp was just loose enough to let the hose open slightly to let in some air and affect the turbo pressure - so tyhat was replaced and it all works. :thumbs:

They also replaced the fuel filter.

I was told that this would have prevented the DPF cleaning which is why the DPF clogged up.

Just about half the cost was labour and they charged 16 hours with all the investigation that had to do.

I am not a mechanic, so I hope the above all makes sense. I can post in German all the bits they replaced if it helps.

Expensive for a 10 year old car, but the body is immaculate and it is really a good workhorse for me and I really cam't afford a replacement - especially after forking out all this.

And. the new T32 X-Trails are pretty c**P for what I want to do.

And a mecanic in Slovakia last year told me that my X-taril was the last good car Nissan made and, has it has no rust, don't get rid of it. :thumbs:

As I immediately dis a 1,000km journey at autobahn speeds (about 70 - 90 mph. Up to about 141kph) I did smell funny stuff a couple of times; so I prtesume the car initiated a couple of DPF cleans itself to finish things off.