It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Engine oil
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:12 pm 
Offline
Off Roader

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm
Posts: 163
Time for the oil change and thought I'd try out Elf as opposed to Castrol which I've used for the last few years. It fits all the criteria , C4 , approved RN0720, DPF. It suggests it also gives better fuel economy so we'll see what happens.Image

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 am 
Offline
Extreme Off Roader

Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:08 pm
Posts: 498
Location: Swindon ,Wiltshire
Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: Iridium Graphite
Mods: Safari lights
What do you pay for that and how much oil does your T31 take.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 am 
Offline
Off Roader

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm
Posts: 163
I've paid £50 for 8 LTRs. The book says it takes 7.4 LTRs . It's about right as normally the garage gives me the remainder after they've topped it up . I've never had to top it up afterwards either .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:50 pm 
Offline
Xtrail Nut

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 576
Location: N.West England
Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 144K
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: silver
Mods: Mods? Green stuff 6000 brake pads
scannyman wrote:
Time for the oil change and thought I'd try out Elf as opposed to Castrol which I've used for the last few years. It fits all the criteria , C4 , approved RN0720, DPF. It suggests it also gives better fuel economy so we'll see what happens.Image

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Any particular reason for using C4 oil instead of the usual C3?

_________________
Ken
Freelance Sound Engineer


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:31 pm 
Offline
Off Roader

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm
Posts: 163
kennygwood wrote:
scannyman wrote:
Time for the oil change and thought I'd try out Elf as opposed to Castrol which I've used for the last few years. It fits all the criteria , C4 , approved RN0720, DPF. It suggests it also gives better fuel economy so we'll see what happens.Image

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Any particular reason for using C4 oil instead of the usual C3?
Non other than that is what is stated in the handbook although I have used Castrol up to now which was a C3. Apparently the C4 is lower is SAPS benefitting the dpf but the C3 is better at lubricating. I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference between either but what swayed it for me was the lower emissions using C4 which hopefully will protect the dpf a bit better.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:40 pm 
Offline
Soft Roader

Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:13 pm
Posts: 35
Location: Swansea
Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Grey
scannyman wrote:

Non other than that is what is stated in the handbook although I have used Castrol up to now which was a C3. Apparently the C4 is lower is SAPS benefitting the dpf but the C3 is better at lubricating. I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference between either but what swayed it for me was the lower emissions using C4 which hopefully will protect the dpf a bit better.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Guessing you have a facelift Xtrail? Or does the same now apply for pre-facelifts?

I got caught out with this, used Eurocarparts & Opieoils, both stated C3 oil for my 2011 with their reg checker, so bought 20L of Elf C3 5w30 for £62 delivered. Checked the handbook for something (bulbs) and then noticed it stated C4 oil. Cancelled the order and have now bought Shell Helix Ultra Professional AR-L 5w30 C4 for £62 for 10L.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:22 pm 
Offline
Off Roader

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm
Posts: 163
blackbeast wrote:
scannyman wrote:

Non other than that is what is stated in the handbook although I have used Castrol up to now which was a C3. Apparently the C4 is lower is SAPS benefitting the dpf but the C3 is better at lubricating. I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference between either but what swayed it for me was the lower emissions using C4 which hopefully will protect the dpf a bit better.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Guessing you have a facelift Xtrail? Or does the same now apply for pre-facelifts?

I got caught out with this, used Eurocarparts & Opieoils, both stated C3 oil for my 2011 with their reg checker, so bought 20L of Elf C3 5w30 for £62 delivered. Checked the handbook for something (bulbs) and then noticed it stated C4 oil. Cancelled the order and have now bought Shell Helix Ultra Professional AR-L 5w30 C4 for £62 for 10L.
Yes I have the T31 facelift . I've used C3 for 3 years and still not had any warning lights appear even though it doesn't really cover long journeys anymore. I'm hoping that changing to C4 won't alter that trend. Fingers crossed [emoji1696]

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:52 am 
Offline
Xtrail Nut

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:41 pm
Posts: 576
Location: N.West England
Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 144K
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: silver
Mods: Mods? Green stuff 6000 brake pads
scannyman wrote:
blackbeast wrote:
scannyman wrote:

Non other than that is what is stated in the handbook although I have used Castrol up to now which was a C3. Apparently the C4 is lower is SAPS benefitting the dpf but the C3 is better at lubricating. I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference between either but what swayed it for me was the lower emissions using C4 which hopefully will protect the dpf a bit better.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Guessing you have a facelift Xtrail? Or does the same now apply for pre-facelifts?

I got caught out with this, used Eurocarparts & Opieoils, both stated C3 oil for my 2011 with their reg checker, so bought 20L of Elf C3 5w30 for £62 delivered. Checked the handbook for something (bulbs) and then noticed it stated C4 oil. Cancelled the order and have now bought Shell Helix Ultra Professional AR-L 5w30 C4 for £62 for 10L.
Yes I have the T31 facelift . I've used C3 for 3 years and still not had any warning lights appear even though it doesn't really cover long journeys anymore. I'm hoping that changing to C4 won't alter that trend. Fingers crossed [emoji1696]

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


I believe the engine is exactly the same , just cosmetically nipped and tucked! :grin:

I've used many different brands of C3 ..GM Dexos, Mannol, Asda etc, to me a spec is a spec.
No DPF issues, 144k on the clock and still (almost) pulling like a train! :thumbs:

_________________
Ken
Freelance Sound Engineer


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 am 
Offline
Off Roader

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm
Posts: 163
kennygwood wrote:
scannyman wrote:
blackbeast wrote:
scannyman wrote:

Non other than that is what is stated in the handbook although I have used Castrol up to now which was a C3. Apparently the C4 is lower is SAPS benefitting the dpf but the C3 is better at lubricating. I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference between either but what swayed it for me was the lower emissions using C4 which hopefully will protect the dpf a bit better.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Guessing you have a facelift Xtrail? Or does the same now apply for pre-facelifts?

I got caught out with this, used Eurocarparts & Opieoils, both stated C3 oil for my 2011 with their reg checker, so bought 20L of Elf C3 5w30 for £62 delivered. Checked the handbook for something (bulbs) and then noticed it stated C4 oil. Cancelled the order and have now bought Shell Helix Ultra Professional AR-L 5w30 C4 for £62 for 10L.
Yes I have the T31 facelift . I've used C3 for 3 years and still not had any warning lights appear even though it doesn't really cover long journeys anymore. I'm hoping that changing to C4 won't alter that trend. Fingers crossed [emoji1696]

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


I believe the engine is exactly the same , just cosmetically nipped and tucked! :grin:

I've used many different brands of C3 ..GM Dexos, Mannol, Asda etc, to me a spec is a spec.
No DPF issues, 144k on the clock and still (almost) pulling like a train! :thumbs:
Mines barely run-in at 65k [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group