It is currently Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine oil
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:12 pm 
Off Roader

Time for the oil change and thought I'd try out Elf as opposed to Castrol which I've used for the last few years. It fits all the criteria , C4 , approved RN0720, DPF. It suggests it also gives better fuel economy so we'll see what happens.Image

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Engine oil
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: Iridium Graphite
Mods: Safari lights
What do you pay for that and how much oil does your T31 take.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:31 am 
Off Roader

I've paid £50 for 8 LTRs. The book says it takes 7.4 LTRs . It's about right as normally the garage gives me the remainder after they've topped it up . I've never had to top it up afterwards either .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:50 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 144K
Colour: silver
Mods: Mods? Green stuff 6000 brake pads
scannyman wrote:
Time for the oil change and thought I'd try out Elf as opposed to Castrol which I've used for the last few years. It fits all the criteria , C4 , approved RN0720, DPF. It suggests it also gives better fuel economy so we'll see what happens.Image

Any particular reason for using C4 oil instead of the usual C3?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:31 pm 
Off Roader

kennygwood wrote:
scannyman wrote:

Any particular reason for using C4 oil instead of the usual C3?
Non other than that is what is stated in the handbook although I have used Castrol up to now which was a C3. Apparently the C4 is lower is SAPS benefitting the dpf but the C3 is better at lubricating. I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference between either but what swayed it for me was the lower emissions using C4 which hopefully will protect the dpf a bit better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:40 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T31 Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Grey
scannyman wrote:

Non other than that is what is stated in the handbook although I have used Castrol up to now which was a C3. Apparently the C4 is lower is SAPS benefitting the dpf but the C3 is better at lubricating. I wouldn't imagine there's that much difference between either but what swayed it for me was the lower emissions using C4 which hopefully will protect the dpf a bit better.

Guessing you have a facelift Xtrail? Or does the same now apply for pre-facelifts?

I got caught out with this, used Eurocarparts & Opieoils, both stated C3 oil for my 2011 with their reg checker, so bought 20L of Elf C3 5w30 for £62 delivered. Checked the handbook for something (bulbs) and then noticed it stated C4 oil. Cancelled the order and have now bought Shell Helix Ultra Professional AR-L 5w30 C4 for £62 for 10L.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:22 pm 
Off Roader

blackbeast wrote:
scannyman wrote:

Guessing you have a facelift Xtrail? Or does the same now apply for pre-facelifts?

I got caught out with this, used Eurocarparts & Opieoils, both stated C3 oil for my 2011 with their reg checker, so bought 20L of Elf C3 5w30 for £62 delivered. Checked the handbook for something (bulbs) and then noticed it stated C4 oil. Cancelled the order and have now bought Shell Helix Ultra Professional AR-L 5w30 C4 for £62 for 10L.
Yes I have the T31 facelift . I've used C3 for 3 years and still not had any warning lights appear even though it doesn't really cover long journeys anymore. I'm hoping that changing to C4 won't alter that trend. Fingers crossed [emoji1696]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:52 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 144K
Colour: silver
Mods: Mods? Green stuff 6000 brake pads
scannyman wrote:
blackbeast wrote:
scannyman wrote:

Yes I have the T31 facelift . I've used C3 for 3 years and still not had any warning lights appear even though it doesn't really cover long journeys anymore. I'm hoping that changing to C4 won't alter that trend. Fingers crossed [emoji1696]

I believe the engine is exactly the same , just cosmetically nipped and tucked! :grin:

I've used many different brands of C3 ..GM Dexos, Mannol, Asda etc, to me a spec is a spec.
No DPF issues, 144k on the clock and still (almost) pulling like a train! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 am 
Off Roader

kennygwood wrote:
scannyman wrote:
blackbeast wrote:
scannyman wrote:

I believe the engine is exactly the same , just cosmetically nipped and tucked! :grin:

I've used many different brands of C3 ..GM Dexos, Mannol, Asda etc, to me a spec is a spec.
No DPF issues, 144k on the clock and still (almost) pulling like a train! :thumbs:
Mines barely run-in at 65k [emoji23]