Post subject: M9R oil change
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:12 am 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0 Aventura T31
Year/Plate: 2009
Colour: grey
Hey guys

I really need to do an oil change. Ive recently fitted an oil catch can, and now i want to get the old oil out.

Can anyone advise, how hard is it to do? I can see in other forums that the filter is a cart, which i have, and its located at the front of the engine behind the bumper.

Is it as simple as empty the oil, remove the cart and reverse? or are there any other hidden things that needs to be done (noticed in the manual it says about emptying the coolant as well which seems odd)

Can any one advise?
thanks!
Clive

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: M9R oil change
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:54 pm 
Off Roader

It's as easy as you describe. I don't do it myself but I stand and watch my mechanic do it. Remove sump plug and drain oil, about 12" away is the oil filter, remove it and replace then reverse the process. No more than that.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:54 pm 

I would add, if I may, that additional care is necessary when pouring the new oil. This operation must be done very slowly because the duct is narrow and there is a risk of spill.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:02 pm 
Soft Roader

tamango wrote:
I would add, if I may, that additional care is necessary when pouring the new oil. This operation must be done very slowly because the duct is narrow and there is a risk of spill.

I'd add another caution or two. The M9R training manual reiterates tamango's warning re the narrow filler neck and also mentions the complex vapour filter at the top of the engine, which slows down oil settling. The manual states:
"Do NOT start the engine until the new oil that was added to the engine has settled to the sump. If the engine is started too soon after filling, the oil may be sucked into the combustion chamber via the engine breathing system. Allow 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, start the engine, wait until the oil pressure light goes out (should only be a few seconds) & then stop the engine. Wait a further 10 minutes to ensure the engine oil has settled back into the sump. Do NOT allow the engine to be overfilled. The Engine Oil Level must be EXACTLY ON THE FULL MARK."

You can also have cause to panic because of the way in which the oil level sensor works:
"If the Ignition is in the OFF position for MORE than 5 minutes & then the drivers door is opened, the resistance of the oil level sensor is measured by the instrument cluster. If the resistance indicates that the sensor is inserted into a sufficient amount of engine oil, the display on the instrument cluster will display the message “Oil Good” once the ignition is then switched from OFF to ON. If the engine oil level is excessively LOW, the instrument cluster will display the message “Oil Lo".

It's a sensible system. You need to leave the oil to settle for at least 5 minutes to get a sensible reading - ignition off for at least 5 minutes ensures that. Then opening the drivers door after time to settle takes a reading. However, if like me, you fuss around doing other jobs (with drivers door open) whilst the oil is settling and ignition is off you can take an oil reading with no oil in the sump! Thus giving a totally erroneous oil level reading when you next turn on the ignition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:20 pm 
Off Roader

Whilst on the subject of oil levels does anyone else have problems actually reading the level on the dipstick ? Mine has a yellow plastic notchy gauge on the stick which I find makes it extremely difficult to read the level.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:49 pm 
Soft Roader

Guys, thank you so much for this invaluable information, I really appreciate the warnings about taking time. Thanks again, I really appreciate this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:18 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqxwcS0-MQc

Youtube M9r oil change

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 pm 
Soft Roader

thank you for the video, ill look into getting an engine flush

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 pm 
Soft Roader

I dont suppose anyone knows the correct tool to remove the oil filter cover?

I can see its a socket type, 27mm? or is there a more specific tool?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:59 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Yes, socket 27. The capsule has has a small hole at one or 2 sides, when you loose it, then the oil triples out then the oil level drops below the rim. When the oul stops tripling, then turn it a bit more, if it starts triple more the you know. Cant remember(did that mont ago), but when you look at the filter housing hex, you will see that 2 sides look like clips. The holes are at same sides or 90 degree from them.
Ohh and you will need 8mm square allen socket to loose the drain plug.

Pour the new oil slowly, because the filler hole is also the dipstick, that means small. At first time I did not know that and used a big funnel, but suddenly i heard tribling on the floor.