It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tail gate release
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:59 pm 
Soft Roader

Hi. The 'soft switch' button which opens the rear tailgate on my X-Trail T31 has become intermittent and I'm worried that one day the dog will be stuck in his dog cage if I can't open the door! I've got someone coming to look at it but is there another way of opening the rear tailgate? Anyone had this problem or had to buy a replacement switch? Many thanks, Richard

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Tail gate release
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:22 am 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.5 CVT 4wd
Year/Plate: 2011
mine has been intermittant for over a year now but I've never actually failed to open it. By pressing in a slightly different spot on the rubber...sometimes a little harder...and sometimes for longer .. I have always managed to open it using the switch.
I did research a new switch - they are an enclosed, encapsulated device unfortunately and cannot really be 'fixed'. New ones are available and come with a short piece of the tailgate loom.
It's on my 'to get' list when i next put an order in from Amayama.
The tailgate can be opened manually from inside by removing a small access panel from the trim and operating the actuator. Doing that with your dog in there too would probably not be fun tho..lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:44 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
There is an access window from the inside to the latch, but it is on the gate it self. So if the cage in the way, then .......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:49 am 
Off Roader

price for a new switch/loom is about US$35 - 25380-JG00A - see pic. Thats the one for my car with just the basics, 2 x licence plate lamps and the tailgate switch. As you see its just a short loom ...

I did notice that a Nissan Note has a tailgate sw. that looks identical ..but is replaceable on its own for about 5 bucks!..see pic. Not 100% certain it will be the same ..but there is a very good chance of it. Be a simple job to snip off the plug and splice into existing loom.
Defo worth a punt. The actual switch just clips into the chrome handle.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:45 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: Iridium Graphite
Mods: Safari lights
richard4959 wrote:
Hi. The 'soft switch' button which opens the rear tailgate on my X-Trail T31 has become intermittent and I'm worried that one day the dog will be stuck in his dog cage if I can't open the door! I've got someone coming to look at it but is there another way of opening the rear tailgate? Anyone had this problem or had to buy a replacement switch? Many thanks, Richard

Look at this video of a fella putting a switch on the inside .It will at least show you how he takes panel off and the wiring ect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqrYhEs ... adwayDrive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:08 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
I had this happen while away Christmas 2019. We'd come back to rented cottage from a walk in the Peaks and I couldn't open tailgate and our black lab was in the back. Tried all sorts of things but no joy. Thankfully he wasn't in a cage but on his harness secured in the back so flopping seat down I could get him out. I did find out how to open form inside when we got home.

If you can get into the back with cage in place you'll see a small black panel about 6 inches square. Prise this off and leave off!!!!! Inside you'll find a cover that's best to get off - prises off. Behind this is a white plastic lever that you can move with a finger which release the tailgate.

I tried knew catch and various things but in the end we found it was the micro switch. Couldn't find one in UK but by Googling the part I found it on Partsouq.com Put in your VIN number and search to find the exact correct number. If you click on that it tells you where it is available - mine came direct from Japan and cost in total with import tax about £50. It came with the wiring loom as well.

I lasted like it for around 4 months trying sprays and new latch (still in my garage) until we diagnosed it - ended up leaving one seat down but little embarrassing getting dog out that way!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:22 am 
Off Roader

bizarrely.... just as this thread appeared - my tailgate sw. started to get even less reliable ..sometimes needing several different presses in different places. So.. thought I had better get it sorted before it gave up completely....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:29 am 
Off Roader

once the large black trim piece is removed...you can get access to the 4 x 8mm hex nuts and 1 poppet that hold the chrome trim/handle. Do this from underneath the tailgate..looking rearwards..there are access holes for each one reachable with a ratchet and 6"extension ...easy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:37 am 
Off Roader

...as I said before..the Chinese made switch is not the last word in quality...but its ok. A few seconds with a craft knife removes the little bits of excess plastic that are evident and allows it to clip firmly & securely into the recess...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:43 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Well done - it's surprising how much you find you actually use the tailgate. You only know when it won't open!!

I have now another annoying thing - black button on drivers door no longer seems to want to unlock arghhhhhhh. All works with fob and all other doors open on black buttons; mind you from when I got the car the handle was cracked but still worked so looks like new door handle at stupid cost even on the bay of plenty!