Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Replacing Battery in T31, Some Questions.

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Adrian4X4 
#1 ·
My battery is not as good as it used to be, need to replace it before next winter, maybe quite soon, as a couple of recent early morning cold starts were rather iffy. Not holding charge as good as it did despite always ensuring levels were topped up. Alternator not at fault as it charges up pretty fast again.

Did I read somewhere that disconnection can cause unwanted fault codes and radio / Sat Nav issues etc. not to mention radio codes needed?

I am also wondering if it may be possible to do this without cutting power, like connecting my trickle charger, or connecting new battery to old battery using jump leads, lift one out, set the other in, then move the cables. If I do that, I take it there's no risk as long as positives stay together and negatives stay together etc?

Has anyone ever done this?

#2 ·
I've disconnected the battery on my T31 previously without experiencing any problems, but I must admit to being slightly anxious in doing so. It had been an inconvenient issue on a company car a few years ago - loss of radio code and need to reset preferences etc.

If worried you can use a parallel supply whilst you disconnect the old and reconnect the new. Although, in theory you can use a battery charger as the auxiliary source, I think that you may need to use something better than a basic charger. Many cheap and cheerful chargers don't have any smoothing and are unregulated. - using the battery itself to smooth the supply and lop voltage peaks. In general electronics don't like that! Whilst it may not do any long term damage, it may not achieve the desired end result of protecting settings.

#3 ·
I have heard they do it wia cig lighter., The key turned to accessories. You need to find a male cig lighter connector and connect it to a 12battery. Google that.
Or like me, i have used rescue/jump start cables carefully on the main battery pos cable, but the neg cable everywhere on body.
Eigther way a third battery is a must be.
My last battery is 278x175x190. Opens up to more options, more Ah and more cc amps.
I did put a 1" wood block under the battery, because the battery leads do not want to go lower than the original battery height.

#4 ·
I've changed battery in my T31 facelift with no issues apart from clock in instrument panel. The Bose headset simply looked for nearby stations as normal and phone numbers I keep on my phone. Sat Nav was fine as well. Q? why do we have 2 clocks....one set my GPS the other by your own hands and not radio station - seems very odd. Most clocks set by radio RDS or gps these days..............

#6 ·
I haven't changed the battery yet. Its doing fine in the summer now without all the heavy winter drain from heater, lights, wipers etc. Although I better not speak too soon re wipers :)
However I will need to change it before next winter.
I'm hopeful Nissan will have my radio code on their system somewhere.
I haven't priced the battery yet through a motor factor, but I was in my local Nissan dealer the other day and I checked their price, not bad at £95.00 plus VAT. I may actually buy this one as I want a decent battery.

#8 ·
To update everyone.
I am happy to report that my car DID NOT need any codes of any sort after lengthy battery disconnection. In fact everything including sat nav, reversing camera etc just fired up normally with the usual screens after many months off the road. No issues at all, no codes asked for, and everything is working fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.