All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Clock Spring
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:54 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Well I wondered how long it would be before I needed to replace the clock spring.

The left hand buttons have never worked and I know nothing wrong with them as I had them replaced when I bought the car thinking they were faulty. The right hand buttons however for cruise did work until about a month ago when cruise worked intermittently and then not at all - oh well I can drive without cruise but yesterday cyclist pulled across in front of me and to my alarm hit horn pad and nothing so as MOT coming up next month and no horn would be failure new clock spring/squib ordered using part numbers off Part Souq for my VIN - £46 so not bad.

Now has anyone any idea how long it will take garage to swap them?? Mines a T31 facelift Tekna.

Cheers

NJ

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Clock Spring
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:24 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Aventura Explorer diesel auto.
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Blue
Norfolk Jim wrote:
Well I wondered how long it would be before I needed to replace the clock spring.

The left hand buttons have never worked and I know nothing wrong with them as I had them replaced when I bought the car thinking they were faulty. The right hand buttons however for cruise did work until about a month ago when cruise worked intermittently and then not at all - oh well I can drive without cruise but yesterday cyclist pulled across in front of me and to my alarm hit horn pad and nothing so as MOT coming up next month and no horn would be failure new clock spring/squib ordered using part numbers off Part Souq for my VIN - £46 so not bad.

Now has anyone any idea how long it will take garage to swap them?? Mines a T31 facelift Tekna.

Cheers

NJ

Hi folks, what actually is this "clock spring" and what does it do? As far as I know no car I have ever owned has had one so I have no idea. I have heard it mentioned several times on this forum though. I assume it has nothing to do with clocks! ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:50 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Bus-man wrote:
Norfolk Jim wrote:

Cheers

NJ

Hi folks, what actually is this "clock spring" and what does it do? As far as I know no car I have ever owned has had one so I have no idea. I have heard it mentioned several times on this forum though. I assume it has nothing to do with clocks! ;-)

It is a spiral of flat multistrand wire wound like a clockspring around the steering column. It allows an electrical connection to all steering wheel controls whilst allowing the steering wheel to be turned. It winds tighter when you turn one way, and unwinds when you turn the other. Hope this makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Norfolk Jim wrote:

Cheers

NJ

Hi Jim

About 30 minutes at most.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:55 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Aventura Explorer diesel auto.
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Blue
Colster wrote:
Bus-man wrote:
Norfolk Jim wrote:

Cheers

NJ

It is a spiral of flat multistrand wire wound like a clockspring around the steering column. It allows an electrical connection to all steering wheel controls whilst allowing the steering wheel to be turned. It winds tighter when you turn one way, and unwinds when you turn the other. Hope this makes sense.

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks. It could also explain why no car I've had in the past has had one, none of them had any buttons on the steering wheel, apart from the horn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:03 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Cheers Colster

Bus-man - It comes under various names sometimes called a squib or steering wheel multi-connector; Colster described it perfectly. Can't complain though as mine must have had millions of turns over it's 181k miles!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:54 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
I ordered mine from ali. The correct part nr is needed tough.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:00 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

I used Parts Souq to get correct part number B5567 JG40D or 40E or 49D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Wahoo - I now have a working horn and all steering wheel buttons; previously only horn and cruise worked but now I can control audio and sat nav from steering!!!!

When I took it in I had EML come on like once before - code read P0487 and P0488 relating to EGR and resistances. Garage took top off EGR which was hardly dirty so fiddled around with connections, cleared the code and all seems ok. This is second time it's happened so wonder what bit it is as clearly EGR works fine! Ho hum at least I can clear it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:33 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
When you did the tune, why did'nt you program the EGR out. I Asked to do it on mine and even bought a stainless steel blanking plate. No EGR problems. and no lights. The OBD2 monitor says EGR test passed. but i know it does not work.

I did remove the whole EGR assembly to clean it for mainteance before the tune.