Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Engine Oil & Fuel Filter Recommendations

65K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  popeye55 
#1 ·
An engine oil service is only as good as the quality of the engine oil.......and filter

I've read some bad things about Fram and Bosch

Iv'e read good things about Mann

I've also read best to use genuine Nissan filter albeit these are made by champion?

Has anyone got any particular recommedations on engine oil filters through experience :?:

Apologies if this has been covered before

#10 ·
I use 5W/40, Castrol Edge Diesel Turbo Oil.
If your changing the fuel filter I would recommend a genuine Nissan one as there have been a few problems with after market ones where the Di engine is concerned.

Regards
Mike

#18 ·
H1ghwaystar said:
Is 5w40 the recommended oil for a 2.5 petrol as well? as looking on here i only really see references to the diesel
i have also been trying to find this information. was hoping this sticky-ed thread was what i was looking alas not.
every where i look someone recommends different oils
eurocarparts list 6/7 different ones
5/40,5/30,10/40,10/30,15/40 etc :blowup@
found this site https://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/oil-finder.php
but this gives me a choice also depending on brand
0/30 or 0/40 personally i would have thought these types where for more high performance cars :?:
please help :bow:

#19 ·
X-MEN said:
H1ghwaystar said:
Is 5w40 the recommended oil for a 2.5 petrol as well? as looking on here i only really see references to the diesel
i have also been trying to find this information. was hoping this sticky-ed thread was what i was looking alas not.
every where i look someone recommends different oils
eurocarparts list 6/7 different ones
5/40,5/30,10/40,10/30,15/40 etc :blowup@
found this site https://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/oil-finder.php
but this gives me a choice also depending on brand
0/30 or 0/40 personally i would have thought these types where for more high performance cars :?:
please help :bow:
think found the info for 2.5ltr,
oil reconmended 5/30. local nissan uses castrol magnetex 5/30
anti freeze l250 green
power steering dexron 111
spark plug standard IFR5A11 or IFR6A11 http://www.sparkplugcrossreference.co.uk/search/
hope this helps :grin:

#20 ·
For my 2.2CDi 2006 manual, should I use the fully or semi synthetic Millers 5w30 or 5w40 whats the general on this one?
I can go by the book, or (which I prefer) real peoples experiences!

#22 ·
Thanks Milton I shall get some.
As I do not know what the previous owner used, would you suggest a flush oil then refill with the Millers? Of course I woul also be fitting a new filter at the same time.

#23 ·
XTnet said:
Thanks Milton I shall get some.
As I do not know what the previous owner used, would you suggest a flush oil then refill with the Millers? Of course I woul also be fitting a new filter at the same time.
Personally I would just make sure the engine is well warmed up and then drain the oil out. Let it drain for around 15 mins and you will get nearly all of the old oil out. Then just fill up with new. Flushing oil can cause problems.

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

#24 ·
Asked a local factor about the sump washer, they said they do not sell them. I dont want to remove the plug and drain the old oil to find out I need something at 10pm one evening. Looking online it is not clear if I need to buy a copper washer, rubber seal or nothing... Probably worth doing a step by step as I complete the job me thinks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.