It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: windscreen wiper problem
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:08 pm 

I have an annoying issue on my 2010 T31 where as soon as i turn on the engine the windscreen wipers start wiping.
They wipe for around 30secs then stop on the windscreen for around 30sec then start again for around 30s..

after around 5mins of this it sometimes just stops all together and the wiper stick on the steering wheel does nothing.. some times i can start them to wipe again where it does the same as above..

starting to get very annoying as it means i cannot do any long journeys or see where i am going when they stop working in the rain..

I have tried searching on here and it seems it can be the motor needs replacing.. Anyone else have the same problem and have a fix before i spend £340 on a new wiper motor :shock:

Thanks

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: windscreen wiper problem
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:27 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: Sport Expedition Extreme - Diesel 173 - Manual
Year/Plate: 2009 / 59
Colour: Thundercloud
Mods: Nerside rearview mirror replaced for with one with blind-spot mirror (genuine Nissan part for an LHD X-Trail), DRLs (proper ones that dim at night), LED sidelights, Front+Rear DashCam
Yes, I had this problem - it was the wiper motor and it was replaced under guarantee.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:03 pm 

I better get my credit card out then as i am way past the warranty period :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail T30
Model: SVE - Blue Thunder
Year/Plate: 03
Colour: Aruba Blue (BW6)
Mods: Reverse sensors/alarm, front & rear wind deflectors, chrome rear boot sill guard, chrome mirror covers, chrome door handle covers, chrome rear light covers, full set rear nissan window screens, bonnet deflector/bug guard, headlamp protectors!
sglass wrote:
I better get my credit card out then as i am way past the warranty period :(

Get one from a breakers... plenty out there and set of spanners should see you able to remove and fit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:51 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Grey
Rather than start a new thread thought I might carry on here:

My 2011 T31 developed a fault with the front wipers tonight. Didn't realise the windscreen was icy and as soon as I turned the key the auto wipers turned on. Didn't think anything of it, turned the engine on, the wipers carried on wiping so I turned the wipers off, they just carried on until they stopped in the middle of the screen, I then turned the wipers on again and then they stopped again but this time in a slightly different position. That's when they stopped working altogether! When I then turned the engine off, turned the ignition back on, they started again even with the wiper stalk in the off position!

Surely it's a sensor issue or relay issue rather than the need for a new motor?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:40 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Sounds def like motor - water get's into it and causes all sorts of problems I'm afraid.

Try getting one from breakers if you can find one; they are simple enough to fit.

The day 2011 Tekna Facelift arrived the wipers went once and stopped completely and you've guessed it it was raining. I searched and couldn't find one at the time from breakers so had to order a new one at £300 but dealer paid for it. I had to get one ordered in as no dealers had any in stock as sounded a typical problem. My garage took about 20 mins to fit and all cured.

If it were the sensor I think the headlamps would also be affected but having said that has it had a new windscreen recently??? If so it might be the sensor has been badly positioned. I had new windscreen at same time as sadly within a day a crack appeared at bottom. Windscreen guy said he had to be careful he fitted sensor in exact correct spot as they were renown for not working at all if mm out but yours does sound like motor I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:23 pm 
Soft Roader

Norfolk Jim wrote:
Sounds def like motor - water get's into it and causes all sorts of problems I'm afraid.

Try getting one from breakers if you can find one; they are simple enough to fit.

The day 2011 Tekna Facelift arrived the wipers went once and stopped completely and you've guessed it it was raining. I searched and couldn't find one at the time from breakers so had to order a new one at £300 but dealer paid for it. I had to get one ordered in as no dealers had any in stock as sounded a typical problem. My garage took about 20 mins to fit and all cured.

If it were the sensor I think the headlamps would also be affected but having said that has it had a new windscreen recently??? If so it might be the sensor has been badly positioned. I had new windscreen at same time as sadly within a day a crack appeared at bottom. Windscreen guy said he had to be careful he fitted sensor in exact correct spot as they were renown for not working at all if mm out but yours does sound like motor I'm afraid.

Hi Jim, nothing has been replaced at all and no work has been done since I've owned it for the last 8months. I've been perusing the workshop manual and found this:

Attachment:
20210108_175352959_iOS.jpg

Which takes me to:

Attachment:
20210108_180548324_iOS.jpg

Attachment:
20210108_180606766_iOS.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:24 pm 
Soft Roader

Last one as it only allows 3 attachments per post:
Attachment:
20210108_180618843_iOS.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
with type of fault, 9 times of ten it is the motor.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:06 pm 
Soft Roader

Ahto42 wrote:
with type of fault, 9 times of ten it is the motor.

Anyone seen the repair kit for the motor? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-X-TRA ... 1438.l2649 Wonder if it would sort out my issue?