Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

windscreen wiper problem

20K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  icjwalshe 
#1 ·
I have an annoying issue on my 2010 T31 where as soon as i turn on the engine the windscreen wipers start wiping.
They wipe for around 30secs then stop on the windscreen for around 30sec then start again for around 30s..

after around 5mins of this it sometimes just stops all together and the wiper stick on the steering wheel does nothing.. some times i can start them to wipe again where it does the same as above..

starting to get very annoying as it means i cannot do any long journeys or see where i am going when they stop working in the rain..

I have tried searching on here and it seems it can be the motor needs replacing.. Anyone else have the same problem and have a fix before i spend £340 on a new wiper motor :shock:

Thanks

#5 ·
Rather than start a new thread thought I might carry on here:

My 2011 T31 developed a fault with the front wipers tonight. Didn't realise the windscreen was icy and as soon as I turned the key the auto wipers turned on. Didn't think anything of it, turned the engine on, the wipers carried on wiping so I turned the wipers off, they just carried on until they stopped in the middle of the screen, I then turned the wipers on again and then they stopped again but this time in a slightly different position. That's when they stopped working altogether! When I then turned the engine off, turned the ignition back on, they started again even with the wiper stalk in the off position!

Surely it's a sensor issue or relay issue rather than the need for a new motor?

#6 ·
Sounds def like motor - water get's into it and causes all sorts of problems I'm afraid.

Try getting one from breakers if you can find one; they are simple enough to fit.

The day 2011 Tekna Facelift arrived the wipers went once and stopped completely and you've guessed it it was raining. I searched and couldn't find one at the time from breakers so had to order a new one at £300 but dealer paid for it. I had to get one ordered in as no dealers had any in stock as sounded a typical problem. My garage took about 20 mins to fit and all cured.

If it were the sensor I think the headlamps would also be affected but having said that has it had a new windscreen recently??? If so it might be the sensor has been badly positioned. I had new windscreen at same time as sadly within a day a crack appeared at bottom. Windscreen guy said he had to be careful he fitted sensor in exact correct spot as they were renown for not working at all if mm out but yours does sound like motor I'm afraid.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Norfolk Jim said:
Sounds def like motor - water get's into it and causes all sorts of problems I'm afraid.

Try getting one from breakers if you can find one; they are simple enough to fit.

The day 2011 Tekna Facelift arrived the wipers went once and stopped completely and you've guessed it it was raining. I searched and couldn't find one at the time from breakers so had to order a new one at £300 but dealer paid for it. I had to get one ordered in as no dealers had any in stock as sounded a typical problem. My garage took about 20 mins to fit and all cured.

If it were the sensor I think the headlamps would also be affected but having said that has it had a new windscreen recently??? If so it might be the sensor has been badly positioned. I had new windscreen at same time as sadly within a day a crack appeared at bottom. Windscreen guy said he had to be careful he fitted sensor in exact correct spot as they were renown for not working at all if mm out but yours does sound like motor I'm afraid.
Hi Jim, nothing has been replaced at all and no work has been done since I've owned it for the last 8months. I've been perusing the workshop manual and found this:

20210108_175352959_iOS.jpg

Which takes me to:

20210108_180548324_iOS.jpg

20210108_180606766_iOS.jpg

Attachments

#16 ·
Is there not an easy way to prevent this problem happening in the first place? To be honest I haven't actually looked at where the motor is located, but I am thinking in terms of some kind of cover to prevent water entry. Is the motor easily accessible, and could this be done? I used to work on cars many years ago, and back then most wiper motors were inside the car below the windscreen. They were a swine to get at, but at least water couldn't get into them.

#21 ·
Colster said:
malgpz900 said:
Colster said:
Reply recieved...
Brilliant, thanks for that.
Just need to check tomorrow and make sure mine is the same motor. Apparently two different ones fitted.
Do we just approach him directly to get the discounted price?
Malcolm.
Yes, just quote this forum.
If you want to provide VIN, I can look up part number for you.

#22 ·
Colster said:
Colster said:
malgpz900 said:
Colster said:
Reply recieved...
Brilliant, thanks for that.
Just need to check tomorrow and make sure mine is the same motor. Apparently two different ones fitted.
Do we just approach him directly to get the discounted price?
Malcolm.
Yes, just quote this forum.
If you want to provide VIN, I can look up part number for you.
Going for the repair kit off ebay.
The saga will continue.
Malcolm.

#24 ·
looked into this repair kit when I had the same problem (covered in a previous thread)

I decided on a new motor in the end, piece of cake to fit.

My reason for not using a repair kit was that, Nissan do not sell this part and I couldn't find any aftermarket dealer that did also. After my wipers packing up in the most torrential rain storm I didn't want to go through another failure.

I cannot see how water gets into these motors but it seems to be a design issue.

Good luck if you go with the repair.

#26 ·
blackbeast said:
I went with the repair kit, just fitted it and there is absolutely no difference! Still goes through the same fail safe sweep pattern :bigcry:

Last thing I can do is remove the battery lead to try and reset the system, otherwise its take it to a garage job.
Was the repair kit the black plastic housing with all of the copper parts inside it? It was this part that was the issue with mine; caused by water ingress