Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

173 bhp how do I know?

38K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  Bus-man 
#1 ·
Last month I bought a 08 xtrail Adventura Explorer advertised as a 173 bhp, and I am well pleased. But I saw another 08 Adventura Explorer today, but this time - Extreme (with the fancy roof lights) and noticed that it had dcI on the back (the I in red) and I remembered when looking at x trails some months ago a sales man told me that the dcI (red) indicated 173 bhp. Mine does not have dcI on the back even though all the diesels are dcI. How do I check mines 173? it is probably in the code for the VIN or engine number. The invoice states 173.
Compared to my old - lighter 138bhp Mazda it seems much more powerful so it probably is 173.

#3 ·
I recently purchased a 173 and was also unsure. Imagine my consternation when the log book arived saying it was a 150! I have now got the certificate of conformity that correctly identified it as a 173, it seems as if it is a DVLA mistake when transcribing the info.

Just to double check had a good look at the VIN plate. The first two weights are maximum laden weight of the vehicle and maximum weight including a trailer. The difference between the 2 is 2200kg on a 173 and 2000kg on a 150.
I was also told you should have the red i on a 173 so Chrisuk I would have a look at the VIN just in case you've had an error on the V5 as well. Why don't Nissan make it a bit clearer though? OK, not everyone wants it on the boot lid as it could encourange thieves but a discreet badge on the engine would be nice.

JohnG

#5 ·
Thanks JohnG. the weights on my plate are
So would seem to confirm 173 bph. It certainly seems much faster than my much lighter 130bhp mazda6 that I sold. Trouble is that the cruising speed it seems most happy at is about 80 and as it is much quieter than my old mazda its going to get me into trouble!
Any idea what the other two numbers are?
I think nissan must have changed the badge arrangement from time to time. My April 08 one has XTrail on the left, and Aventura on the right. I have seen a T31 with a red dCi badge though.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
xtrailman said:
I know this is a old post, but the easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the pulley belt arrangement, the 148 and 171bhp arrangements are completely different.

Refer to the handbook for the layout.
Hi, I am having trouble identifying the engine variant in T31 X-trails produced for the Japanese market. (and then imported to New Zealand second hand). None have the sticker in the door reveal. The Chassis ID plate is different with no weights on it (SEE ATTACHED PIC), and logbooks don't seem to be available. THIS seems to show only the 173PS variant being available as a "20GT" model.

Does anyone have info on how to tell by looking at the layout of the engine? I have looked in the service manual but strangely it doesn't seem to have variations of the engines in it.

unnamed.jpg

Attachments

#16 ·
Just changing the subject a little.My Sprinter truck is a 308cdi which was 80hp then you had the 311cdi vans at 110hp and the 313 cdi vans at 130hp the thing is that the engine is exactly the same in all these models but with varying states of mapping to the engine ecu.I guess Mercedes decreased the Hp for smaller vans and trucks in the range on the engine.In theory I could get my engine mapped up to 130hp if I wanted but it pulls fine as it is with 80hp ,and it's done over 365k miles so wouldn't want to put extra strain on it :biggrin:

#17 ·
chrisuk said:
Thanks JohnG. the weights on my plate are
So would seem to confirm 173 bph. It certainly seems much faster than my much lighter 130bhp mazda6 that I sold. Trouble is that the cruising speed it seems most happy at is about 80 and as it is much quieter than my old mazda its going to get me into trouble!
Any idea what the other two numbers are?
I think nissan must have changed the badge arrangement from time to time. My April 08 one has XTrail on the left, and Aventura on the right. I have seen a T31 with a red dCi badge though.
I'm a new xtrail owner and have been reading as much as i can on forums etc to get to know the t31 better. I understand that users on the thread may no longer active but thought i wouod ask a question about this anyway.

Has the towing weight ration to bhp been confirmed or is it more likely a myth...the reason i ask is i have the same towing weights stated about on my plate too but the door jam and all other docs i have so far say its a 150bhp dci and not the 173. I havent received the v5 yet to che k that.

#18 ·
Ahto42 said:
The 2.0dci had both options, 150 hp and 171/173 hp with manual. Auto was 150 only.
The only difference between 150 and 173 is the ecu remap.
This makes sense to me. Do you know if the map is located on the ECM located next to the airbox in engine bay and if so could you swap in an ECM from a 173 bhp into a 150bhp one? Just thinking it might be a cheap way of remapping engine?

#20 ·
Mine is a 173 but next week is being remapped by Celtic Tuning to 221 - all within safe limits (also confirmed by my local family owned Nissan dealers). Celtic dealers do a full vehicle health check before doing anything a read the existing map. They also warrant the work
- for 2 years. £295 inc but some (like my local dealer) will do them for £250 if you have another vehicle to do - my son is having his BMW 530D M Sport est doing as well - that is scary power increase!!!!!! 227hp - 300hp + 63 Nm

#21 ·
Ah ok, thought it may have been a cheap way to remap as i saw an ecu for under £100 at one point but thought it may also required some kind of pairing to new car and not plug and play...ah well

£299 doesnt sound too bad for a remap actually. I'll have a nosey on the site ;-) Whats making you go from 173 to 221...do you tow or just like the extra speed? Aslo wondering what the mpg would be like at that power?

#22 ·
I was used to a fast Saab which had loads of torque. It was a 9-3 TTiD Aero with 180hp and 400Nm and pulled like a train even in 6th gear - a ton came up very very quickly uhum. When ever I go out it is normally a long drive with most on motorway/dual carriageway. The Saab was excellent for quickly getting onto these roads and superb for overtaking on normal roads - no worrying if you have enough room!! The X Trail is a 2011 Tekna so has the slightly updated engine and gearbox the last T31's had which improved mpg etc. I get mid to high 40's at the moment and only use Shell or BP fuel. It goes really well and has a surprising turn of speed when you push it and get revs up but nothing like the Saab which seemed effortless from low down revs. So speaking with Celtic Tuning rather than go for their economy map which gives 200 hp and 302 lb/ft (standard is 266) it is designed for part throttle acceleration and the chap said for what I want the stage 1 is best giving 221hp and 326lb/ft for better performance and because you get into higher gears sooner fuel economy is improved anyway. Talking to him he reckons I could get into the low 50's with my type of driving but with more ease.

Have a chat with them as they really are nice to deal with and will always do a custom map to suit your own requirements if you wish - not sure where you are but they can come to your home to do it if close enough to them.

#24 ·
Norfolk Jim I had my T30 2.2DCi mapped by Celtic Tuning, and been like it for over 3 years now. Good money spent. The dive is smoother and pull much harder from lower revs, which helps will fuel economy. They are nation wide and also in Europe and will come to you home or place of work.

#25 ·
Cool...that makes it even more appealing now...you would be making your money back with the money you save in fuel in no time by the sounds of it. I will more than likely get this done now for the better fuel economy map but will wait til the summer or at least a couple of months from now as i have only just got the jeep last week so want to get a real world idea of how does mpg just now. Did they happen to mention what mpg they thought was possible on the economy map? When are you getting yours done?

What were the changes on the later models engines and gearbox that made them more fuel efficient?

Glad i picked the manual then :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.