Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Uphill Start Support

11K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Ahto42 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 (11 plate) 2.0 dCi 173 Tekna and just reading through the excellent All Mode 4x4i info sheet and it talks about the Downhill Drive Support (DDS) and I can see the button for that near the gear lever but it also talks about the Uphill Start Support (USS) but doesn't mention if there's a switch for this or if it is simply automatically connected if AUTO is selected?

I've tried it on a couple of inclines and nothing seems to automatically cut in; car simply rolls back if handbrake not applied or am I missing a trick here? Would be good to know please as we do have some hills her in Norfolk and multi storey car parks!

#4 ·
Uphill assist needs steep angle and it works in every mode automaticly. The T31 has no electric handbrake. The ABS pump holds the brakes on for 2-3 seconds and then releases them. It gets the angle info from the G/yaw/angle sensor. I have been on a steep junktion, and in held the car, when i released the brake pedal.

#5 ·
Thanks for all this - I shall delv into the owners manual and find out.

Handbrake is normal lever and last week had new shoes and cables so I know that works fine and new discs and pads all round.

My driveway exit is quite steep and I tried various methods using handbrake or footbrake or simply holding by the clutch all when released would let it roll back if I didn't have such good clutch control - perhaps mine even though a Tekna simply doesn't have it and only has DDS

#12 ·
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but my USS seems to work every time I stop, even on the level. No matter how gently I brake, just before I come to a stop completely, it seems to take over. Maybe in the last half-revolution of the wheels. When I've stopped I can take my foot off the brake and it doesn't move for about a second and then it's fine. (Auto-transmission in drive)

#13 ·
This is the autobox- auto neutral. It goes in to neutral then standing still and the brake lights are on. This is to save fuel in traffic.

If you want to feel the tension and crawl forwad with brakes on and not to wait 0,5 sec to start then but to manual mode.
In reverse the auto neutral is disabled.

#14 ·
Ahto42 said:
This is the autobox- auto neutral. It goes in to neutral then standing still and the brake lights are on. This is to save fuel in traffic.

If you want to feel the tension and crawl forwad with brakes on and not to wait 0,5 sec to start then but to manual mode.
In reverse the auto neutral is disabled.
Thanks for the explanation Ahto42, we all learn something every day. The X Trail box obviously works in a different way to others I have had in the past. With those I've had before they stayed in drive, and the instant I took my foot off the brake they would creep forward. The X Trail doesn't, there is a one second pause that feels like the brakes releasing, then it moves. It must be the gearbox re-engaging rather than the brakes releasing. I'll have to try going to manual mode to see the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.