It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Want another Xtrail.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:58 pm 

It has a chain (M9R engine). Around 180 thousand km it is a good idea to check and change it. I did this, changed timing chain set altogether with all cam rocker arms, because after an oil change I found debris in the oil pan (the “needles” from the needle roller bearing) - one rocker arm was broken. The original chain was about 1 cm longer than the new one (OE) and was much looser.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:33 pm 
Off Roader

I have a M9R engine, 62k 2012 and the chain has never been changed. I only drive about 4000 per year. Would it be wise to get the chain changed now or is it ok to leave it for a while longer ? If I wait until 100k it'll be another 12-13 years [emoji16]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:00 pm 

Thanks guys but you have added anxiety to my conundrum. A few years back I bought an 07 Renault Trafic with the M9R engine from an auction. First thing I did was to put it in the garage for a service. First trip straight from the garage to Dover. First 20 mins It went like a race horse (compared to the sprinter) Then it blew up big time. I'm talking oil all the way up the back doors to the roof. Found out that second hand engines were like rocking horse (%$) to find. Cost me a not so small fortune in the end. Had to get reconditioned. I know all the mistakes I made so no armchair philosophy please. So what you guys are saying is you still have to replace a chain every 1000 the same as a belt? I'm retired now and only doing a couple of thousand miles a year so not so worried as I would have been. What's the rough cost of renewing the chain?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:53 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
In the vans they almost never do a service(oil change).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:00 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Now that's interesting about changing timing chain. Mine is 2011 Tekna facelift and it is now on 168k miles and never had timing chain changed - it mentions nothing about changing it at all.

Even from cold it is a very quiet engine and only issue i've had in 12 months ownership was a slight hesitation under light acceleration - this however has gone since my recent service when fuel filter was also changed. Engine is smooth as can be. Pretty sure if there was anything sounding wrong or contaminated oil my garage would tell me - they know how particular I am. Perhaps on Facelift something was done removing need for replacement. My Saab was timing chain and good for 250k miles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:42 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Chain is deemed as fit for life, i.e. doesn't need changing. However warranty smallprint states lifetime of 100k. Yours has lasted well, as have many others. Others haven't been so lucky. Regular serving with quality materials is so important on any chain driven engine wirh hydraulic tensioners. Despite this, all chains and sprockets wear. The chain will not last infinitely, but may well outlive the engine. As stated, many don't. From what I have observed, these aren't a rattly engine even with a stretched chain.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:47 pm 
Off Roader

The service manual for the M9R says for Drive Belt (I assume this is the same as a Timing Chain) inspect annually but replace every 100,000 miles or 72 months which means it would get changed every 24000 with the sort of mileage I do. Does anyone think this is excessive changing schedules or is it better to go by the book ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:53 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
I expect drive belt refers to serpentine belt.

Have a read of this thread...

https://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic. ... on&start=0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm 
Off Roader

Hi Colster , I remember reading that a while back and thinking how disgusted I felt about Nissan . I suppose its 'safer' to go by the book and have it changed even though mine has only done 62k its now 7 years old however its not used as a stop/start car (i have an old Focus for that) it only does longer journeys and not many of those even. There's no rattling and its quiet as a mouse which I'd expect after so few miles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
I would say that misfortunes happends, Panda's case is one of them and he let him self to rip off, or is the thread fake.