Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Tekna/Platinum specs

5K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Norfolk Jim 
#1 ·
Hi, i had a xtrail T30 and by god it was the worst car i have had, never out of the garage and cost me a fortune.
Anyway, i am looking at replacing my estate car as i have 4 dogs and need something with a bigger boot plus 4x4 capability again, looking at a used T31, either the Tekna or a Platinum, could you please tell me if there is much difference in the specs as both types seem to have the same blanking covers to left and right of the steering wheel, also any coomon faults with them?.

Many thanks,
Nigel.

#2 ·
Tekna has the highest spec. They never made many Platinum but the one's I've seen are like an Acenta with a few more bits such as Sat Nav but Tekna has more. Look for a T31 Facelift model as they did tweek it a bit before making the T32. Fuel economy is better and engine seems better. Facelift has the smart LED back lights, main beam headlamps sit lower into front bumper and dash is much nicer being white writing on black background that auto dims.

I've had mine just over a year - 2011 Tekna 173hp (remapped by Celtic to 221hp) and it has just passed 170k miles. Engine is wonderfully quiet and on a reasonable run I do get 50 mpg at 75 mph. Average for normal driving is around 46 mpg. All I have done on mine is replace shocks simply due to mileage and I know a wheel bearing is on way out - oh and tailgate lock issue but otherwise it is proving much better than other vehicles I have had - i.e my wifes 2010 Golf has had master & slave cylinders and new clutch, DPF sensor, battery in last 3 months at 99k approx £1800.

The X trail is very comfortable and has loads of space; even more if you remove floor and storage trays. Excellent Bose sound system and lots of usefull goodies including heated seats with 2 settings. I have only last week used it to tow a builders van off a site car park that was thick mud. Van had no traction at all and grassy slope so was going sideways if t moved. I had a tow rope in back drawer and looped onto tow bar and his towing eye - locked 4 wheel drive and simply pulled it up the slope onto concrete without any fuss at all. My tyres are all season mud and snow Vredestein Quatrac 4. on 18" standard alloys

Hope that all helps - just check service history and try them out. I've heard a few noisy engines but mine being the facelift seems quieter - I'm amazed how quiet it is when cold as well with no oil use either - oh and get Tekna to get the Xenon headlamps - a must

#3 ·
I have the platinum 2012 facelift model with all of the above included. It's 173 hp non chipped and returns good mpg around the 40 mark just local as I do no motorway driving at all. When I drove across Europe 18 months ago it was averaging 45 mpg absolutely loaded with rear seats down. It has downhill assist which is useful at times for me in my work. Never had a problem with it in 4 years but it's not been run-in yet on 62k.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
scannyman said:
I have the platinum 2012 facelift model with all of the above included. It's 173 hp non chipped and returns good mpg around the 40 mark just local as I do no motorway driving at all. When I drove across Europe 18 months ago it was averaging 45 mpg absolutely loaded with rear seats down. It has downhill assist which is useful at times for me in my work. Never had a problem with it in 4 years but it's not been run-in yet on 62k.

Interesting - wonder why they called it Platinum if all is the same. My handbook shows it as a slightly lower spec and suspect you've also got the SD car sat nav system. I have the hill start and yes it is v useful especially for me when reversing out of my driveway which has a slope. Found it usefull on Snakepass over Christmas :)

#6 ·
Norfolk Jim said:
scannyman said:

Interesting - wonder why they called it Platinum if all is the same. My handbook shows it as a slightly lower spec and suspect you've also got the SD car sat nav system. I have the hill start and yes it is v useful especially for me when reversing out of my driveway which has a slope. Found it usefull on Snakepass over Christmas :)
May have been called Platinum as there were 200 made for the UK only. There must be some slight differences but not clearly evident.
It does have the sd card sat nav which isn't the most user friendly one I've ever used although I'm not that great at using any of them ...still prefer the old map in hand tbh .
Given the option I'd much prefer an aftermarket android system as I'm much more proficient with Google maps. One day I may fit a new system in it.
Overall I'm very pleased with it and very fortunate not to have had any dpf issues which seem to plague many owners on the forum.
Ps. Mine hasn't got hill start, it has a descent control switch to prevent the car from running away downhill so it's used in first gear and no footbrake operation is required. I have to navigate some extreme slopes with weight in the boot so it's very useful.

#7 ·
Think you'll find you do have Hill Assist - it works the same as Hill Descent - try it. I didn't think mine had at first. It will only work on a reasonable slope.

Find a slope to drive up and stop with foot on brake. Keeping foot on brake pedal depress clutch and select first gear then you'll find as you release the brake it simply hold still clutch bites and off you go...... bet you do have it. Works forwards and in reverse - it's mentioned in owners manual.

#8 ·
Norfolk Jim said:
Think you'll find you do have Hill Assist - it works the same as Hill Descent - try it. I didn't think mine had at first. It will only work on a reasonable slope.

Find a slope to drive up and stop with foot on brake. Keeping foot on brake pedal depress clutch and select first gear then you'll find as you release the brake it simply hold still clutch bites and off you go...... bet you do have it. Works forwards and in reverse - it's mentioned in owners manual.
Tried it this morning and yes it has uphill assist, I read the handbook front to back but don't remember reading about it, only the downhill assist. Anyway it's always nice to have a bit more tech gatchedry to play with. Cheers !
Ps. Do you leave your switch on or off for it ? Would it do any harm if left on ?

#9 ·
Never needed to switch it on - I believe if you do leave it on it will automatically disengage above certain speed anyway.

I think if you read handbook it is under the downhill assist section - I had to read it two or three times to understand it. It works uphill and downhill without the switch on. Use that only for really steep decent and more for off road driving.

#11 ·
Yep really good and only have to use the switch if on really steep loose ground - i.e. offroading.

I used it in the Lakes on Hard Knott Pass when an idiot came up too close meaning me reverse - worked superb with not an inch forwards - you do have to be reasonably quick once clutch released.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.