All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best T31 for towing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:33 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 SVE
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Zinc
Oh ******!I think that put pay to that idea then of a T31 then I need something to be able to tow the caravan and the whole idea of changing to auto is so I have a car my wife can drive if she needs to borrow and when we are on holiday I don't have to do all the driving she cant tow becshe she has not had he license long enough.
Had a quick look at a Mazda cx 5 online that has a 2.2 diesel auto and the data on that says its rated for 2000kg for towing braked

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:42 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Yeh it seems weird as the same gearbox in Renault can tow higher loadings. When you consider the cars capability it's a real puzzler and shuts off a large section of the market to them. It's the same for the T32 as well. 1500kg auto and 2000kg manual.

The Freelander though can tow max 2000kg even in Auto form so T31 170hp is better with an additional 200kg. We'd not have been able to collect that car in a Freelander lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:37 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Renault Koleos, 2008, 150 hp Diesel auto also 1350kg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:13 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: Aventura Explorer diesel auto.
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Blue
Norfolk Jim wrote:
Yeh it seems weird as the same gearbox in Renault can tow higher loadings. When you consider the cars capability it's a real puzzler and shuts off a large section of the market to them. It's the same for the T32 as well. 1500kg auto and 2000kg manual.

The Freelander though can tow max 2000kg even in Auto form so T31 170hp is better with an additional 200kg. We'd not have been able to collect that car in a Freelander lol

Yes it is weird. When I think I once moved an 8 ton coach, probably admittedly only about 15 yards, with a Mk2 Cortina automatic when a more powerful manual Mk3 Cortina couldn't budge it an inch.................. I had a temperature gauge on the gearbox and it didn't even overheat, and it didn't appear to suffer any other ill effects either. That same Cortina of mine was also used to recover a broken down Landrover on a transporter trailer from just outside great Yarmouth to Kings Lynn. Did the job no problem at all. Yet an automatic 4x4 X Trail can't tow more than 1350kg??? I think my old transporter trailer on its own weighed nearly that.