It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Smart charging and caravan fridge supply (13 pin)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:44 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: X-Trail
Model: Tekna
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Twilight Grey
Mods: witter towbar & 13 pin electrics
Is there an actual solution to the challenge of the caravan fridge supply with the 'smart charging' on newer T31's?

There's various older posts that suggest the 'official' Nissan dedicated towing kit doesn't work properly - is this still the case?
kennygwood wrote:

I have a voltage sensing relay that cuts out when the 'smart' charging drops it's voltage, and since it's now become 'noisy' (buzzing when switching), I'll need to replace it
As I can now tell it's dropping out when the 'smart' charging drops the voltage (happens a short while after joining the motorway), it's not really doing it's job keeping the fridge cool

So - rather than just replace something that doesn't really work anyway - I thought I'd ask if there is a solution now to this problem (even if it means paying more for a dedicated kit)

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Smart charging and caravan fridge supply (13 pin)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:03 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Hi David,

I'm not up to speed with the current X Trail T31 charging (I don't have a caravan or a T31, but know a little about the electrics), but I'm guessing that the caravan electrics are connected to PIN 9 of the 13 PIN socket and with the 'smart alternator', the voltage drops and the battery is no longer charged?

I'm guessing the x Trail also has a habitation relay

PIN 10 should be a constant feed for the fridge?

The solution, would be to by pass the current charging method or modify the X Trail's electrics so that the leisure battery is kept topped up. You would have to consult the ESM for the T31 to see the current set up, but the X Trail might have a way of connecting the battery through a large relay when the ignition.

There may be other solutions already for other 4x4s with the same type of smart alternators?

I'm sure members who tow will chime in with some suggestions or even a solution :thumbs:

Kind Regards,

Eoin

Profile Send private message