It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ball joint replacement on T31
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:08 pm 

I am new to this forum - first post - so here goes

I have a 2008 T31 - it's the 173HP with I think the Renault M9R engine
I bought it used a couple of years ago and it's been pretty good so far
I have a few things to post - but I will do them one at a time

First post - I have to replace a ball joint.
I don't have a hard copy workshop manual but invested in a couple of versions of the CD versions you can get online.(they were not expensive so no great loss if they aren't perfect)

First up is that both versions assume that the ball joints are the standard fitting using nuts and split pins (even though they claim to cover the T31 2007-2013) - which isn't the case as mine has a pinch bolt arrangement. Secondly the CD's don't seem to include torque wrench settings anywhere.
I have a note from an online search that suggests the figure for the pinch bolt is 63Nm (46 ft lb) - can anybody confirm that?

Secondly, the CD's actually suggest that if the ball joint play is too much then you replace the whole transverse link. Eurocarparts have a separate ball joint which suggest you don't need the whole arm (unless the other bushes are going). So although it's not described in my 'workshop manual' it doesn't look too difficult a job to do and is probably less faff that changing the whole arm (considering you have to disconnect the stabiliser bar to get one of the bolts out - and then I don't have the torque settings for putting the bolts back in....). The new ball joint is kept in the arm by a fairly sturdy circlip. Anybody done this job before - if so any tips?

I think I am pretty competent (I kept an old mk1 Disco going for 14 years and 270,000 miles), have most of the tools I need, a garage that's just about big enough and for the moment at least the time to do this myself

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Ball joint replacement on T31
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:55 am 
Off Roader

Car:: T31
Model: Diesel auto
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: pearl white
Mods: Pedders lift, 235/65R17 tires, RH ZW 1 split wheels, ECU reflash, Major audio upgrade....
Here you go:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38633&p=300849&hilit=ball+joint#p300849

easy job

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:03 pm 

Thanks ndrk

not quite the answer - I am changing the ball joint not the whole arm - but I appreciate the methodical instructions and like the tip of jacking up the suspension to enable the mounting bolt to be extracted past the stabiliser - I'll keep that one in mind for when I have to do a complete arm change.

Any thoughts on the pinch bolt torque?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:37 am 
Off Roader

Car:: T31
Model: Diesel auto
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: pearl white
Mods: Pedders lift, 235/65R17 tires, RH ZW 1 split wheels, ECU reflash, Major audio upgrade....
I did them hand-tight with some force. Works for me.

To replace ball yoint only I guess you have to use hydraulic press to get old out and new in.
That means the whole arm must come off your car. You cant change ball joint when arm is on car.

In general, I would check those large bushes and if there are exessive play or cracks, I would change the whole arm.