Switch to full site
Help and advice for towing Caravans, Trailer Tents, etc
Post a reply

Dedicated v Universal Electrics

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi all,

Is there any added benefit for choosing dedicated electrics kit for towing a small livestock trailer on the xtrail T31? There's a difference of approx 120£ in price for the dedicated but Im not sure about its benefits over the universal electrics...

All the info I've read is quite general so it would be good to get some info specifically for the T31 comparing the two types of electrics.

Cheers

Dan

Re: Dedicated v Universal Electrics

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am

we just fit a teb7as to protect the car fuses in case of faulty trailer,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/28227239 ... 070&crdt=0

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks Truck Driver! So is the relay basically a substitute for dedicated electrics? What would be the risk on the car fuses if you didn't have this installed?

Would a 57 registered xtrail model need one of these or are its electricals less sophisticated than newer models?
Thanks!

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:26 pm

if a trailer with a short on ( say ) the lighting trips the relay,
resets on removal of the faulty trailer plug,

without the relay , this blows the sidelight fuse that is in the fuse box under the bonnet below the battery,
try putting a new fuse in there at night in a rain storm,
or just unplug and the lights on the car still work,

worth it for piece of mind and a kind of insurance you may never need,

like picking up trailers with wiring of unknown condition,

a fuse is still a fuse new or old model, and once blown is a pig to find,

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 am

I am looking at fitting a removable towbar to my 2016 T32, not sure what's best any suggestions would help, as posted above dedicated or other wiring. I do have some tiny LED's on my caravan and the price for dedicated shoots up.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Relay as truck driver said that's all i've ever used ,they do more or less the same job at a lot less than the overpriced dedicated electrics

plus voltage sensing relay if wiring up for 13 pin electrics

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:28 am

Just installed this kit :thumbs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282338445251? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 pm

Ahto42... Where are the connectors located for the kit you just installed ? I need to do the same on my car as the previous owner had run wires up into the light units and soldered them on !

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:19 pm

You can download fitting instructions from this page - pdf is too large to upload here.

https://www.pfjones.co.uk/nissan-x-trai ... 505pf.html

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 pm

I had dedicated wiring fitted with 13pin plug with detachable swan neck to my T32 for towing the caravan. Was expecting it to cut out the reversing sensors but it doesn't and don't notice any benefit. Also my new Van has led's and although the lights on the van work OK the light on the dash that blinks with the indicators when the van is on doesn't work. It flashed OK with the old van (none led's) so for some reason the led's won't fire up the dash light.
Post a reply