Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Towing with spare will fitted.

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Colster 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Anyone noticed in the handbook you are not allowed to tow a trailer/caravan with the spacesaver spare wheel fitted?
Standard wheel/ tyre is 225/55R18
Spare wheel/tyre is 215/65R16
Which is something like a 18mm difference in rolling diameter.
I noticed the tyre on my spare wheel has temporary written on it.
What would be the situation if I had a standard 215/70R16 tyre fitted to my spare wheel rim, this would give the rolling diameter difference of about 3mm, would I be able to tow my caravan with spare wheel fitted.

IMG_20200419_132614.jpg

Screenshot_20200419-204946.png

Screenshot_20200419-204631.png

Cheers,
Malcolm

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My theory is
1) the trailer/caravan puts more weight on the towing car and it it is not rated for that load.
2) different size wheel has different rotation speed. That stresses the 4wd system and can damage it. With a trailer even more liklely.

#3 ·
Ahto42 said:
My theory is
1) the trailer/caravan puts more weight on the towing car and it it is not rated for that load.
2) different size wheel has different rotation speed. That stresses the 4wd system and can damage it. With a trailer even more liklely.
Yeah, but what if I make the spare same diameter, same load rating.

#4 ·
How about purchasing another 18" wheel off a certain auction site or even Gumtree and getting a standard tyre fitted. Then you will definitely be OK. Sometime you can pick up wheels fairly cheaply.

I managed to buy for 16" wheels for my T30 including three very good tyres for £40. As I was going to be fitting winter tyres I had the original tyres removed so that I could refurbish the wheels myself. I still have the tyres available. If you are local to me you could always collect one.

On anther note do you ride a Kawasaki?

#5 ·
DUSZ said:
How about purchasing another 18" wheel off a certain auction site or even Gumtree and getting a standard tyre fitted. Then you will definitely be OK. Sometime you can pick up wheels fairly cheaply.

I managed to buy for 16" wheels for my T30 including three very good tyres for £40. As I was going to be fitting winter tyres I had the original tyres removed so that I could refurbish the wheels myself. I still have the tyres available. If you are local to me you could always collect one.

On anther note do you ride a Kawasaki?
Been looking on ebay. 18" alloys with no tyres and kerbing are going for around £150. Will keep looking. Quick fix was to but bigger tyre on current steel wheel. Had the car 2 years never looked at spare wheel/instructions. Previous car had standard alloy spare wheel, which is probably the way I'll go.
Yes got three Kawasaki GPZ900r's. 1985 A2, 1985 A3 and 1991 A8.

#9 ·
Norfolk Jim said:
What about the sub in the spare wheel??? I'm surprised an 18" will fit in that well.

I'm shocked at how much these are still selling for in scruffy form!
18" fits in the well, tried it. Mine doesn't have a subwoofer in spare wheel. Does the sub not fit inside the wheel? More space inside an 18" wheel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.