Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

power drop

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  damo 
#1 ·
hi all , just towed my 1200kg caravan from Cheshire to great Yarmouth , I have a 2004 2.5 petrol without cruise control. I found that on minor slopes a14/a11 the car would struggle to pull and would drop to 50 or less. Previous car Volvo s60 D5 ate these roads towing. Is this normal ? thx.

#2 ·
Hi.
Mine was the same.I find that if i sit at about 62mph it seems to tackle most inclines ok,i think because the revs are at the point where the turbo comes in.
i had to have a new clutch and DMF fitted a few weeks ago before our trip down to France and found it better on inclines and most hills where it didn't fade out and didn't have to drop into 5th.
i am not saying you need to change the clutch or DMF.I have had our X-Trail for 5 years and i just lived with it.Our caravan is 1700kgs twin axle so expect it to lack a bit.
As a rule if the speed drops to just below 55mph then i drop it in to 5th to give it more power.
Yes i could have a problem with mine,It is serviced regular and i put a fuel additives in it every 6000 miles and don't use supermarket fuel.
They are great motors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.