Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

rear suspension

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  x-trail-chris 
#1 ·
just got our first caravan and our xtrail seems to be sitting really low no weight in van yet, had our exy for just over a year and really happy with the way it handles and drives( o5 2.5 petrol sport), do i need to upgrade the rear suspension and if so would this change the handling without the caravan, went through last mot without any probs or advisories so i thought dampers and springs would be ok

#3 ·
I have my nose wt at about 75kg and still find it low at the back. We do however load up the boot area. I have a hook under removable whitter tow ball which sits a lot closer to the ground than I would like and can hit ramps on car ferries.

Spring assistors might be the answer but last time I tried to go that route my insurers (Zurich at the time) said no.

A self leveling Santa fe might be my answer unfortunately.

#6 ·
aprilsgrandad said:
milton said:
Whats the noseweight on the caravan. Max noseweight loading on the xtrail is 100kg, but you might find it better to get around 75kg noseweight on the caravan.
Best regards
Milton :biggrin:
how do i check nose weight its an older van (1991)
Bathroom scales and a piece of wood. Put the wood under the hitch and onto the caravan. Make the piece of wood about right to sit the caravan level.

Or you can buy purpose scales from a caravan shoppe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.