It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mam or gvw
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:22 pm 

Hi all we have a 04 xtrail 2.2nmanual diesel. Currently have a motorhome but thinking of changing for caravan, trying to find the maximum authorised weight of this car so can see what I could tow as limited to 3500kg combined weight as post 97 licence or if would need to do plus e licence test.
Thanks in advance

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: Mam or gvw
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:06 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Welcome to the house of fun :biggrin:

2.2dci xtrail is rated to tow max of 2000kg

However

The recommendation from the caravan club and other such esteemed organisations is not to exceed 85% of the gvw.

The gvw of the xtrail 2.2dci is around 1570kg, therefore based on the 85% rule it is not recommended that you tow a caravan any heavier than around 1335kg. If you are an experienced tower of caravans then you can push that limit up to say 90 to 95%.

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T32 1.6dci nTec 4WD 5 Seater. Previous 04 T30 dci
Year/Plate: 2014 64
Colour: Grey
Mods: Detachable Swan Neck Towbar
As Milton says above new caravaners are advised to tow not greater than 85% of the kerb weight but as I understand it experienced caravaners can tow up to 100% of the kerb weight. I know nissan say the towing limit is 2200kg so it is a bit of a minefield. It's if you have an accident while towing that the fun and games will start with the insurance company. I personally would play safe and stick with the kerb weight limits.

Cheers. Martyn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:17 pm 

The issue I have is my licence allows me to drive up to max combination of 3500kg and that is adding max authorised weight of Nissan plus max authorised weight of caravan and if kerb weight is 1500kg the max authorised weight could be considerably higher. So need this figure really

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:36 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T30 2.2dci sve
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Blue
My 2.2dci sve has a mam of 2050kg so leaves me with 1450kg to tow with, keep me within the 3500kg licence limit. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
Have you come across this site before? It's quite handy for working out what you can drive. I'm not sure but I've a feeling that you might have to take another test anyway, if you're towing a braked trailer?

https://www.gov.uk/vehicles-can-drive

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:38 am 
Xtrail Nut

milton wrote:

However

The recommendation from the caravan club and other such esteemed organisations is not to exceed 85% of the gvw.

The gvw of the xtrail 2.2dci is around 1570kg, therefore based on the 85% rule it is not recommended that you tow a caravan any heavier than around 1335kg. If you are an experienced tower of caravans then you can push that limit up to say 90 to 95%.

Best regards

Surely 1570 can't be the GVW, can it? I thought they were MUCH heavier than that? Is that the "kerb" weight?

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Avocet wrote:
milton wrote:

However

Best regards

Surely 1570 can't be the GVW, can it? I thought they were MUCH heavier than that? Is that the "kerb" weight?

Could be Avocet :biggrin: my mistake :confused:
Unladen weight is 1525kg
Gross vehicle weight is around 2100kg
Easiest way is look on the vin plate in the engine compartment, that gives all the weights.
Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:43 pm 
Off Roader

Model: 2.2DCi SVE
Year/Plate: 55reg
Colour: Blue
Mods: HD Battery, tuning chip, more to follow!
Ok, I know this an oldish thread, but I have just been on a Caravan and Motorhome towing course, so I looked at my VIN Plate in the engine compartment.
There are 4 weight listed ;
2050 Kg
4050 Kg
1110 Kg
1165 Kg

Am I correct in thinking that the maximum permissable towing mass is 4050 - 2050 = 2000 Kg ?
What are the other figures ?
Does anyone know what Nissan say the XTrail tow ball weight is rated at ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

2050 is the most that the vehicle itself is allowed to weigh (without a trailer). Passengers, luggage, fuel, roof box, the lot! If "Plod" was ever going to "do" you for being overloaded, that's the figure he'd use.

4050 is the maximum that the car PLUS ANY TRAILER could ever weigh. (The Gross train Weight). As you can see, it's 2000kg more than the max permitted weight of the car on its own - which, as you suggest, is where the 2 tonne towing capacity for the X-Trail comes from). Again, if "Plod" were ever to do you when you're pulling your caravan, this is the figure that would be used for enforcement purposes. HOWEVER, there is, of course, a bit of "wriggle room" here because you COULD technically, tow a trailer greater than 2000kg as long as the cr wasn't fully-laden at the time. This gets into a grey area though. First of all, it wouldn't be a sensible thing to do (tail waggging the dog and all that) but secondly, for the definitive answer, you would need a copy of the car's EC "Certificate of Conformity". That's the absolute and final arbiter. Trouble is, you're not likely to have one for a car of that age. You can request one from Nissan, but they might make an "administrative charge" for it. That's the data derived from all the type approval tests. It will tell you the max braked and unbraked trailer weights that the car was type approved with. Chances are, it will still be 2000kg because they tend to go for round numbers. NOTE that this is ONLY as far as the technical requirements for the vehicle are concerned. Driver licensing is a completely separate set of legislation and if you're limited to a 3500kg combination, then that reduces your towing capacity accordingly, regardless of what the vehicle is capable of.

1101 is the maximum weight allowed on the front axle at any time (whether or not you're towing a trailer).

1165 is the maximum weight allowed on the rear axle at any time (whether or not you're towing a trailer - ALTHOUGH, there might be some "small print" in the type approval that will allow this to be exceeded by a small percentage if you don't exceed 50 MPH - (which ought to appear in the handbook if Nissan have taken advantage of that loophole).