It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dab radio recomendation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:12 pm 
Soft Roader

Hi all.. Im thinking about updating my factory fitted stereo to a dab unit. Do the dab convertors work or am I better replacing the head unit to a dab stereo I'm looking to listen mainly to talk sport radio and play podcasts etc.. What do people recommend??

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Dab radio recomendation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:06 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30 Sport
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Silver
Last year I bought a Nextbase DAB350BT together with a Bingfu external DAB aerial as there are reports that the windscreen stick-on aerials do not always have good reception. This is fitted in my 2005 T30 via the aux port. Watch out as there are 2 or 3 different types of aerial connectors.
Until March this year I still had a company car so the furthest I have driven and that is only on one occasion was from Suffolk to Nottingham as since then COVID-19 has been an issue.
The unit has worked fine including the Blue Tooth for the phone.
The aerial I positioned to the centre rear of the car and brought the cable in through the rear boot door and then hid it between the rood lining and the upper trim. With cars with a side curtain airbags you would need to be careful not to interfere with their operation.
The downside is that you have to have a cable for the power supply and also the aerial lead so it is not as neat as a DAB+ head unit, the plus sides for me are that my car has a double DIN head unit that otherwise is OK and that I can use it in another car if wanted (would ideally need another aerial).
With a DAB+ head unit I suppose it might even be possible to patch it in to the steering wheel radio controls but you will still need to change the aerial.
Hope you sort it out.

Profile Send private message