It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2010 satnav sound quality
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:13 am 

Hello,

I've recently bought a 2010 (pre-facelift) xtrail and whilst a good car the sound quality from the stereo is strangely awful. I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do as it's not obviously faulty but it doesn't sound good at all. The speaker set up seems to be the same as my wifes Qashqai which sounds good to my ears and I don't think of myself as particularly picky about these things but the sound balance is far from right and I am unable to fix it with the bass and treble controls that are on the head unit. The cars under warranty so if I was sure it was faulty I could take it back and get the dealer to look at it.
Anyway the main problem is the sound is all midrange, there is bass and some treble but mostly it's just mids which are very harsh. If I turn up the bass control I seem to get more of the type of low bass that vibrates panels but none of the mid-bass that makes a warm sounding stereo. Turning up the treble control just makes the harsh sound even harsher.
The only speakers that produce any bass at all are the front ones. The rear speakers are much quieter and don't seem to produce much bass or treble.
Other that the terrible sound balance there isn't any distortion so no immediate evidence that the unit is faulty.

The question is are they all like this and are there any hidden eq controls that might be out of wack and that I might correct? I found the hidden settings menu but the only thing I could find there was a speaker test, no calibration.

For reference this is a sat-nav unit with the Music box HD. It was advertised as a Bose but there is no subwoofer and no Bose branding so I guess it isn't really.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: 2010 satnav sound quality
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:44 am 
Xtrail Nut

Location: The Netherlands, Maartensdijk, centre of the country
Car:: Nissan X-Trail
Model: 1.6 Tekna 2 wheel drive
Year/Plate: 2018
Colour: Dark Brown
Mods: Dark brown with broken white upholstery. Tow-hook, fire extinguisher, LED Matrix headlights, LED interior and boot-light, handmade semi leather back-seat cover (dogs), booth-liner, wind deflectors, 4 seasons tires, BOSE audio + sub-woofer, Class 3 alarm
For what I know Nissan uses Bose. At the back of the speaker is the brandmark Boose. If not, thy double-crossed you.
But (for as far as I remember) there is not only a L/R balance but also a Front / Rear. Thereby there is a Loudness switch which increases the bass very much. I do not know if there is an equalizer in the head unit, but in my studio I have a 2 x 24 band Equalizer (TEAC) which increases the whole sound enormously.
Use a test CD to adjust if you wanna be sure

By the way: the Subwoofer is in the spare wheel hole... If not: they nicked it... :whistle:
Otherwise: Ask John Willet here, he is a sound engineer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:46 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Tekna 173 Deisel manual
Year/Plate: 2010
Colour: Blue
There were a number of 2010 or thereabouts models that were marketed with Bose sound system but were delivered without - mine included. In addition to the sub-woofer, a Bose version should also have the graphic equaliser under a seat (I think). Not happy with my system & keep toying with an upgrade but haven't so far found an easy / cost-effective route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:12 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

I've certainly not got the sub in the boot. Just the polystyrene insert in the spare wheel. The sound might be accounted for by a system that was tuned for a sub but the sub wasn't there. I'll have a look under the seat when I get back to the car to see if there is any evidence of the rest of the Bose system.
It would be a pity to change the system. In every other respect it works well, both the sat nav and the control of an old Ipod I have plugged in. The ipod control was particularly important to me and one I tested before I bought the car. Unfortunately I then turned the stereo off for the rest of the test drive to listen to the engine/interior. Of all the cars I've driven over the years i've never had one where I couldn't get a passable sound from the stereo and I had a Defender for a while. It's very odd.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:43 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Tekna
Year/Plate: 4/2012
Colour: red
Mods: side steps, amateur radio,
is it look like this,

http://www.satnav-update.com/latest-201 ... -126-p.asp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:52 pm 

No, it's the later type as fitted to the post 2010 teknas.

I've been looking at ads in Autotrader to figure out which one this is but all I can tell is that it is the Bose type fitted to the post facelift teknas which as Ron said above seems to have been fitted to some pre-facelift cars sans the Bose amp and speakers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:32 pm 

I have had some success with this. I went and found a similar model at the dealers and did a comparison and found that the other car sounded a tiny bit better but no night and day difference. So I have tried another tack. I have accessed the tweeters in top of the dashboard and having checked that there was nothing wrong with them (blaupunkt models, I assume these are standard) I've disconnected them completely.
The system balance now seems fairly normal. I have been able to turn the treble control back up without the sound becoming painful. I will update this when I have had a chance to drive a bit (everything sounds different when the car is moving) but first impressions are good.

I understand that the tweeters are not fitted to all models and are just wired in parallel with the front speakers so disconnecting them still leaves a full range signal running to the door speakers. In this case a suspect that Nissan may have specced tweeters that are just too sensitive and so overpower the rest of the system.