It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: In Car Cameras
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:00 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: X-Trail
Model: Sport Expedition Extreme - Diesel 173 - Manual
Year/Plate: 2009 / 59
Colour: Thundercloud
Mods: Nerside rearview mirror replaced for with one with blind-spot mirror (genuine Nissan part for an LHD X-Trail), DRLs (proper ones that dim at night), LED sidelights, Front+Rear DashCam
JackDusty wrote:
JackDusty wrote:
Has anyone had an incident recorded on camera and found it a useful barganing/evidential tool with the insurance company/police?

Graham

To answer my own question, guess those dramatic pictures of the plane crashing into the river and clipping a taxi on the road at the outskirts of Taipei Airport in Taiwan must have been from one of these cameras.

As well as evidential might have been quite lucrative selling to media outlets as well! :biggrin:

And the meteorite strike in Russia was captured on so many car cameras that it gave a wealth of unique information to scientists as well as great TV pictures.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:12 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Previously - X-Trail
Model: SVE 2.2dCi
Year/Plate: July 2005 [05]
Colour: Zinc
Mods: Parking Sensors. DRLs, Additional Reverse lights, Wind Deflectors....
I changed my camera last year after a vehicle overtook me as we came to a dual carriageway stretch on the A66 near Penrith. Unfortunately my "old" camera was not recording, and fortunately the incident took place late at night when the traffic was light. The vehicle overtook me and the car in front, and then kept on the right hand side of the road then up the wrong carriageway. Both I, and the car in front of me, flashed our lights to attract his attention until he stopped. He must have turned around and u-turned onto the correct carriageway - because he cut me up two roundabouts further up as we joined the M6.
My wife noted that there were children in the back. :o

To answer your question JackDusty, I have not had to produce the video evidence yet - I also wish I had the facility with earlier experiences. However, I feel safer having the independant record if I needed it.

Best wishes, John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:21 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail T30
Model: SVE - Blue Thunder
Year/Plate: 03
Colour: Aruba Blue (BW6)
Mods: Reverse sensors/alarm, front & rear wind deflectors, chrome rear boot sill guard, chrome mirror covers, chrome door handle covers, chrome rear light covers, full set rear nissan window screens, bonnet deflector/bug guard, headlamp protectors!
when it comes to reports of dangerous driving etc and the police, they require at least two independent witnesses, obviously any Cctv images would assist in dealing with poor driving/and or claims...

Incidentally I thought about having one set to catch those on mobile phones etc... I saw recently in the press a Bin Lorry Driver had been outed on the BBC for driving whilst texting... if I did that it would be quick march to the office... and you are No Longer required!

Local press link is broken, but reported here of Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/theplymouthherald/photos/a.10150681563521902.398430.7404691901/10152722889551902/

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:23 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Tekna 2.0 dCi (173) 225/55/18 Tyres
Year/Plate: 2014 (14 plate)
Colour: Silver
Well bit the bullet and got a Nextbase 402G. Found it a lot easier than I thought to hide the cable in the head lining and down the A frame rubber to utilise the cig lighter socket.

Bought from http://www.3wisemonkeys.co.uk/camera/ca ... -recorder/ who are currently including a carry case and 32gb SD card.

Hope I don't need to use it in evidence! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:30 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: Sport-X 2.5 manual petrol
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Blue
I have an E-prance e801 which was not not £42 on Amazon and came with a 8gb card. Bearing in mind the small size and price of the unit I'm pretty impressed with it. The e803 which someone mentioned on here is its bigger more expensive brother but also comes with gps logger.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:41 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: Tekna Extreme, Manual dci
Year/Plate: 2013
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Extreme Roof Rails, Rear Spoiler, Side Bars with Steps, Wind Deflectors, Illuminated Sill Protectors, Detachable Towbar, Private Plate. Nextbase 402G
Hi, long time no speaky :)

Still got my 13 plate XT fully blinged, love it!
I have also bought the Nextbase 402G and wish to wire it up permanently without using the cigarette lighter.

The picture quality is excellent.

How easy was it to get the wires behind the trim?

I am assuming that I need to go down the right hand side and pickup in the fuse box somewhere?

The sucker base actually sticks to the shaded area very well :)

Cheers,

Chainsaw

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:34 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Hi Chainsaw,

I found it remarkably easy to hide the wires under the edge of the head-lining and then down the A-Frame. You just have to be bold and pull the rubber seal away, it goes back easily.

I have not hard wired but am utilising the power point by the gear stick, I bought an adapter from Halfords, that has double sided sticky tape to mount on the casing in the footwell, this gives me two power points and an USB connection. I also bought a 3M sticky circle that was guaranteed to stick to the shaded area, that then has a smooth, shiny outer surface for the suction pad to adhere to. Works well.

Graham.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:02 am 
Soft Roader

Model: Tekna Extreme, Manual dci
Year/Plate: 2013
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Extreme Roof Rails, Rear Spoiler, Side Bars with Steps, Wind Deflectors, Illuminated Sill Protectors, Detachable Towbar, Private Plate. Nextbase 402G
@JackDusty

Cheers for that info.
I do have a car trim kit in a tool roll with various size trim tools, one of them should do the job.
Yeah I'll maybe get a power socket doubler and spur off to the foot well and tape up the same as you have done.
My sucker base is still stuck to the shaded area without any extra pads etc..
Hopefully it will stay there as the 402G is very light.

So your wire goes under the trim behind the mirror, then along off to the right side A frame, then down the pillar.
Where does it go after that or is it on show after that but under the foot well?

Cheers again.

Chainsaw

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:42 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Hi Chainsaw,

Actually I have fed my lead to the left of the mirror, down as described then I have lots of gaps to hide the cable in and across the footwell and into the doubler which is fastened to the casing. No bother to passenger either.

Graham :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:04 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail T31
Model: N-tec+
Year/Plate: '13 plate
Colour: Twilight grey
Finally got my camera (a Joovuu X) wired up - thanks to the various tips already posted here. It was much easier getting the USB power wire under the head lining and down the windscreen trim into the fuseholder area than I'd anticipated.

Here's a tip - crimp a fork connector to the earth of your 12v-5v converter, not a ring connector. That way you only have to loosen the screw in the fuse holder and slip the fork under it. With a ring connector you have to remove the screw and risk dropping it inside the footwell trim. which means removing the door sill protector to get it back. Don't ask how I know that!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next