It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering wheel controls, T31 satnav replacement unit
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:10 pm 

Hi,

I've just had the head unit replaced in our 2008 T31. The satnav unit with 6-CD player was the OEM fitment and I've had it replaced with a Kenwood DNX5610BTS. I like the new unit but it doesn't control an iPod Classic 160GB properly which is the subject of much discussion with the installer and has resulted in him sending the unit, with my iPod, back to Kenwood for testing.

If that wasn't irritating enough, he has been unable to get the steering column controls to work properly. I believe this is because there's something awry with the head unit but his conclusion is that the X-Trail with OEM satnav has different software to that of the non-satnav cars and there is no interface cable available that will work.

Not having steering column controls is a PITA as when the Nav screen is showing on the head unit there's no way to skip forwards and backwards a track without going to the iPod screen first. That's not ideal when I'm driving.

So, after the long preamble, my question is has someone replaced the head unit in a T31 X-Trail that had the OEM satnav and retained the use of their steering column controls?

Thanks.

Kevin

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Steering wheel controls, T31 satnav replacement unit
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:59 am 
Off Roader

Car:: T31
Model: Diesel auto
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: pearl white
Mods: Pedders lift, 235/65R17 tires, RH ZW 1 split wheels, ECU reflash, Major audio upgrade....
I believe there are 2 different protocols for steering wheel controls. Can-BUS and some simpler analog protocol which name I cant remember. X-trail uses the latter. You must check with HU manual which protocols are supported.
I believe most Chinese units (X-trons etc) are supporting Nissan steering wheel controls.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:44 am 
Soft Roader

I tried a couple of adaptors with my Pioneer head unit, couldn't get the steering wheel to play ball.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Aventura
Colour: Grey
So....about to replace the head unit on my 2008 Aventura with a Kenwood DPX5000BT.
Phoned autoleads and they told me I need a CP2-NI23 stalk adaptor (to the tune of about £50 for a box and some wires - which I am a little nervous about as it seems no one has actually managed to get this all to work).
Also, the guy at Autoleads directed me to their App From which I can apparently get the dip codes for the control unit to make this all work.

I attempted something similar on my old T30 And failed to get the steering controls to work.
Has anyone succeeded and has anyone managed to find an "idiot's guide" anywhere? I am confident in my ability to fit the head unit but not so much in the steering controls still working after.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:03 am 
Soft Roader

Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 2.0l dCi 173 Manual
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Towbar 13pin, Sidesteps, LED DRL's, LED interior lights, LED sidelights, LED reg plate lights, LED side repeaters, LED reversing Light, LED Glove Box light
Don't know if this'll help much, but I've attached two pages from the T31 ESM showing the steering switches and resistor values to control the head unit. As you'll see they differ between satnav/nosatnav.........

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:10 am 
Soft Roader

Thanks Soft Roader.
What I need to try and understand is what plugs in where :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:50 am 
Soft Roader

Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 2.0l dCi 173 Manual
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Towbar 13pin, Sidesteps, LED DRL's, LED interior lights, LED sidelights, LED reg plate lights, LED side repeaters, LED reversing Light, LED Glove Box light
When I did my previous T30 2005 with a JVC (successfully), I used adapters from incartec.co.uk and I see that they do them for T31 2007-2014 as well,
but only for the 6 function version - satnav has 8 functions!

I've attached the documentation I got from them at the time and hope it may help but this version is for the T30......

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:43 am 
Soft Roader

Thanks Milly
I will let you know how i get on