It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Change steering wheel for one with controls?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 am 

Anyone know if this is possible?
ie if the wiring is there in models without steering wheel controls?
Am I right in thinking that these transmit on the CANBUS network?

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Change steering wheel for one with controls?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:33 am 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.5 CVT 4wd
Year/Plate: 2011
just wrote HUGE REPLY..WITH PICS ..FORUM server lost it all... not the first time it has done this either
unimpressed

so...yes it is possible .
Ive done it
no CANBUS ..discrete wires...easy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:30 pm 
Off Roader

I shall try again ....
My X trail only came with the RHS cruise buttons on the steering wheel..and not the left hand side audio buttons. The audio buttons would be far more useful to me so Ive always wondered about retro fitting the that LH panel.

When I was doing the steering wheel illumination mod I noticed that the.clock spring seemed to be fully populated ...with only the 3 passes needed for my cruise buttons actually being used .. well, 4 after the illumination mod!
Looking at the electrical schematic it was evident that the audio side uses the the currently unconnected passes on the same clock spring. In short .. the difficult bit - the clock spring .... was already there waiting..

So..a look on epc to see how much the switch panels actually cost .. and incredibly Amayama had them priced between $56-67 US. Now that seemed to me to be pretty good value .. remember, this is the same company that prices a radiator at $550 upwards!!
Its difficult to identify exactly which of the 4 options I might need .. see the screenshot below .. so I had a look at my existing parts..see if they had any part nos. on them..

The sw panels are part of the airbag assembly ..which is removed from the steering wheel easily with a couple of torx security bolts..1 either side if the wheel. The assy then slides out. The airbag can be kept connected .. if you dont feel happy doing that..then I suggest you disconnect the battery and wait 5 mins before removing the assy. I didnt .. airbag stayed connected the entire time...
see the pic...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm 
Off Roader

..i have written this 3 times now..keep getting chucked off ..forum not responding etc etc..

these are the pics for above post

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm 
Off Roader

..so..the yellow plug with grey sleeving is of course the airbag..so leave it be. The black sleeving contains the wires for my cruise buttons ..and again..4 connections are unpopulated .. I guessed they would be for left hand panel ...
I removed both oanels from the airbag assy..dead easy..couple of phillips screws and plastic clips. Sadly no part nos on any of it..grr

So..i decided to bite the bullwt and order the one with most options..ie. the most expensive which was still only $67 .. worst case..i end ip with a brand new version of what I have already!

A nice box from Amayama arrived this morning ... took my mind briefly off the cooling issues I have right now..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:07 pm 
Off Roader

what is going on with the forum right now?! .. im having real trouble submitting posts. and uploading pics ...and when the pics do eventually go..they are rotated 90° ..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm 
Off Roader

... BINGO! ... just what I had thought & hoped for .. both left and right panels ..with a common plug..fully populated to go into the clock spring. Which means the steering wheel side of things..is virtually Plug n Play...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:33 pm 
Off Roader

..the car side of things should be simple ... Nissan use the almost industry standard 3 lines..a common + 2. .. so..just need some thin & flexible 3 core ... from the clock spring plug in the steering column...to the rear of whatever audio unit you have.
Im trying to identify the molex type crimps for that clock spring connection so I can do it neatly .. until then Im just gonna do it like the illumination mod ...

Bottom line...I reckon for an outlay of about £45 ..plus shipping .. you can add steering wheel controls pretty easily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:28 pm 
Off Roader

...the only issues I can see are instances where an X Trail has NO steering wheel controls at all. In this case there is a chance that the clock spring may not have the required extra passes ...
A cheaper clock spring would be a cost saving for a lower spec car so possible Nissan would do it. Additionally, the car side of things for cruise control is a bit of an unknown ... the plug might be there ready to simply plug in which would be great...but if not then would presumably need to run control wires to ecu in engine compartment? plus..possible software/firmware issues within ecu ... few things to think about if you have no controls at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:06 am 
Off Roader

few more pics from the work ...