It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest Ipod version
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 am 
Soft Roader

I have just bought a 2012 Tekna which I am really pleased with overall; the only disappointing thing being the in-car sat nav & Bose audio system.
I have scoured every post on this section of the forum so I know I'm not alone and have come to the conclusion that the sat nav is out-dated and not upgradable so I have to live with that. Others have swapped out for double din units and I'm a bit reticent to do that as I don't want to lose functionality of the steering wheel controls and also the sat nav/reversing camera screen.

The sound of the system seems to be good enough but the lack of facility to play digital music is frustrating; I don't really want to resort back to using cd's!
I have tried a Nulaxy KM24 FM transmitter bluetoothed to my Iphone but the sound through the system was really tinny and a waste of time; I expected it to sound at least as good as the radio which is quite good!
The manual says that I can plug in an Ipod to the usb in the centre console to play mp3 music files' this seems to be the easiest option. Please can anyone tell me what would be the latest ipod version/type that would work? The manual only lists those which were on the market at time of production and we've moved on a bit since 2012 but if it means sourcing and older ipod just to play music, so be it.

Of course any other constructive suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
John

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Latest Ipod version
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:05 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0 DCI Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: K55
Mods: Towbar.
I use an old iphone 4 in my usb but the missus has an iphone 7 that works just fine too. I think pretty much all the ipods work with the Bose USB link. If you want DAB though the best option is a Pure car unit which links in and is meant to be superb (i haven't bought one yet but think i will do next year)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:37 pm 
Soft Roader

bobwilson wrote:
I use an old iphone 4 in my usb but the missus has an iphone 7 that works just fine too. I think pretty much all the ipods work with the Bose USB link. If you want DAB though the best option is a Pure car unit which links in and is meant to be superb (i haven't bought one yet but think i will do next year)

Thanks for your reply.
I did try my Iphone7 connected to the usb using the lightning cable but the sound was really crackly and tinny so assumed it wasn't compatible.
When you say 'Bose Usb link' are you referring to the usb port in the centre console or a specific usb lead?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:44 pm 
Soft Roader

No special link just the USB socket in the box between the two front seats. I do have a good quality lead to link up though (Juicebitz.co.uk). Gives good sound, i did once have to clean the socket out though after some dirt got in there and caused a bad connection. It wasn't bad quality sound though, it just kept loosing connection and reconnecting every few seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm 
Soft Roader

I think you can connect via bluetooth too, my Samsung S9 connects but doesn't really work too well with music, i have to start the phone playing manually rather than on the headunit screen. Once on it sounds good though, i think the Apple devices control via the headunit wirelessly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:10 pm 
Soft Roader

Cheers fella :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:53 pm 
Off Roader

Model: T31 2.5 CVT 4wd
Year/Plate: 2011
..you say you are reluctant to move to a double din all-in-one unit because you think you will lose the steering wheel controls and sat nav / reverse cam stuff?
well... most of the decent double din Android based units...have all this ...so I really wouldnt be worried about losing it. Provided you do your homework and choose a decent unit.... you will never look back.
Playing music via cables really is a joke in 2018 .... you know it. And buying an OLDER iphone to enable you to do this ..is even crazier.
You will be surprised at just how good a decent double din unit will be ..... and bluetooth media, of course..works like a dream.
I believe there may be some cosmetic things to sort out..regarding the fascia aperture ..but this is not insurmountable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:20 pm 
Soft Roader

Bertoknee wrote:
..you say you are reluctant to move to a double din all-in-one unit because you think you will lose the steering wheel controls and sat nav / reverse cam stuff?
well... most of the decent double din Android based units...have all this ...so I really wouldnt be worried about losing it. Provided you do your homework and choose a decent unit.... you will never look back.
Playing music via cables really is a joke in 2018 .... you know it. And buying an OLDER iphone to enable you to do this ..is even crazier.
You will be surprised at just how good a decent double din unit will be ..... and bluetooth media, of course..works like a dream.
I believe there may be some cosmetic things to sort out..regarding the fascia aperture ..but this is not insurmountable.

Thanks for your response; I agree cables and things are way out of date.
You've re-ignited my interest in changing out for a good double din unit, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 am 
Off Roader

Model: T31 2.5 CVT 4wd
Year/Plate: 2011
..have a read of the 'T31 sat nav replacement' thread in the General Discussion section ... same questions and concerns are raised there ... with a few pics.

I will echo what I wrote there ... I BELIEVE there may be some cosmetic issues to solve when replacing the factory satnav unit with an aftermarket double din unit. I am not 100% about this ..but I read somewhere that the satnav equipped T31's have 2 units ..(HU and screen?) and they are not exactly double din sizes?? ..or the fascia apertures are not quite correct..or something like that. The lower spec models without satnav (like mine ..see pic in other thread) have a single audio unit which is exactly double din ..so replacing it is very easy.

I think the story goes something like that ...i probably read it on this forum somewhere so have a good search. I think someone needed to get hold of the fascia trim and metal mounting brackets from a lower spec model to make it all look nice ?? ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 pm 

I have a 2013 T31 Tekna. Connect 1 with Bose . Firstly, my sat nav is an SD card and there is a 2018 (2017 maps) replacement avaiilable on Ebay for around £40.... if your is the same system that should be the same for you, Regarding digital music, I simply downloaded all my music in mp3 format onto a USB stick and plugged that directly into the female USB port in the centre console. Plays fine with good fidelity and all track details are shown on screen, track selection is controlable from touch screen and steering wheel. I have also tried a cheap mp3 player via the same USB socket and that worked ok as well.