All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Head Unit Removal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:03 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
Hi Chaps

Can anyone tell me how easy or hard it is to take the head units out of my 2011 T31 Tekna facelift? It has the Premium Connect Sat Nav system.

Just we think the connection on back to steering wheel may be loose/ off or faulty connection and why my left hand buttons don't work. Had new ones fitted today and no change. Dealer suggested that's the problem but if I can do it I save £££'s

Cheers

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Head Unit Removal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 pm 
Off Roader

Model: T31 2.5 CVT 4wd
its very quick & easy ..

http://baustralianxtrail.runboard.com/t131572

on the first pic it shows a trim tool...better to use your finger tips either side for this bit...and pull OUT..towards you..firmly. The bottom of the trim will pull out an inch or so.. The rest you will suss easily..

I believe your head unit will be a different 2 box affair to the single box shown in the Aus thread ..but the principle is the same

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Many thanks - created an account on their site and bingo can see pictures.

It does look simple to be honest but I wouldn't be surprised if I came upon a snag knowing my luck but will give it a go. I did manage to fit and android unit into my VW T5 camper and install DAB aerial - it all worked so we'll see.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:07 am 
Soft Roader

Model: 2.0 DCI Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: K55
Mods: Towbar.
Loads of plugs on the rear of the headunit, might have a drawing somewhere of the plug and connections. I think once you have the drawing you can test the switches using a multimeter at the plug end. I'll try and find the drawing if you need it but it will be Wednesday before I can look.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:38 am 
Off Roader

..the electrical schematic for the audio buttons is attached on the steering wheel controls thread ... its straight from the workshop manual ..

I would be very surprised if you have a loose plug ... every plug I have needed to go near on this car is TIGHT ..with a really positive locking mechanism ...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:34 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Cheers for this - so could be the 'clock spring' then?? The Nissan Master Tech said it seemed odd that one set of buttons was working while none of the others were so didn't seem like any wire broken and more like a plug but then again wouldn't clock spring do this as well if worn? If you turn the steering wheel it makes a noise as if leather against leather rubbing noise??? if you understand what I mean? Not a grating but simply like leather cushions rubbing together................

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:13 pm 
Off Roader

..it could easily be a broken pass in the clock spring ... there are 2 seperate wire sets in those clock spring units. 1 for the airbag..and 1 for the other stuff..
This second set has 8 passes (8 wires) ... 1 wire for the horn, 2 for the cruise buttons, 1 for illumination, and 3 for the audio buttons ....
If the common line of the audio wires is broken..then it will obviously only affect the audio buttons .... if another of the audio lines is broken ..then it will only affect a couple of the buttons..some will work..some will not.
You could remove the airbag unit and the steering column shroud..to expose the plugs on either side of the clock spring...and check them all for continuity....this will confirm a clock spring problem or not. Access to the car-side plug is not great for a meter tho..be tricky. You could leave that plug connected and pierce the wires of course..

Unusual to hear any noises like that when turning the steering wheel .... certainly mine is silent. Perhaps a wire has become detached within the clock spring ... maybe worth at least removing the airbag assy and having a look in there ..you could then test the audio panel seperately ... and have a listen again whilst turning the wheel...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:17 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Thank you

The dealers have said they'll do a wire check for free as they called me in for software update to find car already has it - seems Nissan forgot to file that under my reg!! Hopefully it's something simple.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:09 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

I received my Sat Nav map update and software cd installed fine. Put 1st Map DVD in and it said 121 mins lol. 2 hours of engine running..................... I called HERE in Netherlands and chap was extremely helpful and said simply do it while driving as long as Sat Nav not needed. If I have to stop it will simply restart where it left off; having said that I have a 2.5hr drive on Thursday so see how I get on. He told me the 121 mins was for all 4 DVD's but sadly couldn't confirm if UK was on first or whether all had to be installed; he thought all as the last he thinks contains camera info. We shall see.