It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS rollover and potential problems
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:28 am 
Soft Roader

There's been some recent posts in the technical press about GPS date rollover on April 6th this year and potential problems ensuing from that. It's similar to the Millenium bug - the GPS date code can only count to 1024 weeks before it starts at 0 again. Last rollover was in August 1999. If this has not been taken into account in the GPS system design, the date could reset and could cause serious positional and timing errors.

Apparently manufacturers should be aware of this. I've done a search on Nissan but not found anything remotely useful. Even a GPS specification for the satnav could be useful. ANybody have any info/comments on this?

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: GPS rollover and potential problems
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 am 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0 DCi N-Tec +
Year/Plate: 2013
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar + 13 pin electrics, mud flaps, front bug deflector side bump strips.
AMB wrote:
There's been some recent posts in the technical press about GPS date rollover on April 6th this year and potential problems ensuing from that. It's similar to the Millenium bug - the GPS date code can only count to 1024 weeks before it starts at 0 again. Last rollover was in August 1999. If this has not been taken into account in the GPS system design, the date could reset and could cause serious positional and timing errors.

Apparently manufacturers should be aware of this. I've done a search on Nissan but not found anything remotely useful. Even a GPS specification for the satnav could be useful. ANybody have any info/comments on this?

What this space. We're doomed. I blame Trump.
Malcolm.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:11 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2005 2.2DCi FatFace
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Black
Mods: Celtic Tuning Remap to 170HP, EGR deleted, Rear exhaust box removed, K&N air filter, inter-cooler mods
Hi, just been looking into this. It would seem that cars sat nav's are unaffected as date stamp is of no relevance. Sat nav's work on finding the position of a number of satellites to be able to triangulate the devices position. But we will have to see :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:50 am 
Soft Roader

bertye wrote:
Hi, just been looking into this. It would seem that cars sat nav's are unaffected as date stamp is of no relevance. Sat nav's work on finding the position of a number of satellites to be able to triangulate the devices position. But we will have to see :whistle:

I have also been looking into it and think that there may well be a problem. The timestamp is partly needed to calculate location. It apparently comes down to how well the GPS handles GPS Time-to-UTC conversion.

The US GPS website claims that GPS systems built in accordance with the ICD-200/IS-GPS-200 specification should be OK. So presumably T32s will be fine. Advice is to contact the manufacturer. Are Clarion still in business?

TomTom are also advising owners of their satnavs and owners of Renault cars with built in systems to see whetehr their systems need an update.
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/updates/

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:43 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: X-trail
Model: 2005 2.2DCi FatFace
Year/Plate: 2005
Colour: Black
Mods: Celtic Tuning Remap to 170HP, EGR deleted, Rear exhaust box removed, K&N air filter, inter-cooler mods
I checked out the TomTom site, and now I think that there will have a problem with my satnav in the 2005 T30. I like the Satnav it has except for the fact that having to put a road name instead of a post code a pain. My TomTom Go530 needed the update which they do for it, so that's done now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:57 pm 
Soft Roader

I've contacted Nissan UK support as per advice on the Clarion site. Not holding my breath.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:18 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0 DCi N-Tec +
Year/Plate: 2013
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar + 13 pin electrics, mud flaps, front bug deflector side bump strips.
Emailed Nissan Customer Support. Not holding my breath for a reply.
Malcolm