Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Infotainment cut-out since installation of a new alternator.

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Teknafobe 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Due to having a fourth battery replaced in as many years, I was advised by my regular garage that the car would need a new alternator.

This was duly fitted, but ever since then the infortainment system cuts out regularly, which is a bit of a worry. The car has been back in for a checkover, but it was claimed that the cause of the issue could not be found.
So, I'm turning to the experts to see if there is experience or guidance that can find a solution.

I've now got to a stage where I notice that the cut-outs mainly happen when slowing down and the rev counter falls to 1000RPM or lower. This is mainly when braking or shifting down, but can sometimes happen when in neutral. Occasionally it happen when turning (left or right) too. When idling at lights, it happens, and I have noticed that the system blanks and revives in time with the idle revs of the engine (no application of pressure to the accelerator).
This is not every time, but it happens more than it should. Some days there are no incidents, whereas on others it happens a lot.

I'm not often following a sat-nav course, so I don't know if a nav journey is interrupted, but the audio always goes (radio or CD), and the display screen goes blank (although it never needs reset).
It's more of a pain-in-the-**** to me than a worry, but I would like to know if it is something I should concern myself with more and if there is something more specific the garage can do to remedy this fault since it has only appeared after their last.
Has anyone else had such an issue?
Is there any other info or advice I could follow to try and identify the problem before 'escalating' it?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Mike

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi Ahto42.

I have found out that the replacement alternator is a Lucas one. No info on model number, but Lucas is the brand name.

When you say "CAN noise", what does that mean? I had a quick look and I'm not sure it applies.

Remember, my issue isn't an audible noise...it's a temporary disconnection of the infotainment unit at sub-1000rpm since the alternator was replaced. That's what I need resolved.

Thank you.

Mike

#6 ·
That's certainly a strange one. I haven't heard of it before. I think you may have to take this up with the garage who did the work, as the problem only occurred after the new alternator was fitted. If they have a decent auto-electrician there they should be able to sort it. Wish I could be of more help, but my knowledge of auto-electrics is probably about 40 years out of date. ;-)
Colin

#8 ·
So you have (had) flat battery issues. The garage told you the alternator needed replacing. Was this tested (properly), or just a hunch? It sounds to me you have a wiring issue, maybe a bad earth connection. This could also be why your batteries weren't charging properly.

#9 ·
Colster said:
So you have (had) flat battery issues. The garage told you the alternator needed replacing. Was this tested (properly), or just a hunch? It sounds to me you have a wiring issue, maybe a bad earth connection. This could also be why your batteries weren't charging properly.
Yes I would go for this too Colster .

#10 ·
Thanks guys.

The alternator issue was suggested by an AA roadside rescue chap who came to the house when the car wouldn't start during first lockdown.

When able to get to garage, they ran the diagnostics and found the alternator to be the issue.

Could an after-market towbar also be a concern for the battery?

Anyway, thanks for the CAN-BUS info. I'll get in touch with the garage with that suggestion...see if they can't take another look.

Keep you posted.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.