Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear brake light bulb replacement with LED X-Trail T31

43K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  albert 
#1 ·
I have tried to obtain access from the inside of the car by taking off the cover or through the back by taking off the rear light unit by taking off the 2 bolts but in both instances I was not successful. File attached with picture.

What is the correct procedure to replace a bulb/change it to LED on the rear brake/indicator light unit?

Attachments

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
It says in the manual that you have to remove the rear pillar trim first to gain access to the nuts at the back of the lamp I can see that you've tried to pry open the back trim in your photo, but be careful or you will break it! there are a few screws you have to remove first to remove it.

View attachment T31 Rear lamp removal.pdf

Did you mange to sort out the back seat ?...................

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4910

Note: If you have difficulty viewing pdfs online, download and install the most current version of Acrobat Reader. Free Download available at http://www.adobe.com.

Attachments

#3 ·
I have not tried this yet.

The second page seems to infer that you only have to remove the 2 bolts and the unit then comes forward so that you can unplug counter clockwise the bulb holders. i.e. no trim to remove. I seem to recall on this forum an old thread on this which says that with the 2 bolts removed it still requires a lot of force to actually get the unit off. This is why I have not yet tried it, I would like to check connections or maybe fit LEDs.

Looking again at the drawing I suppose that disconnecting the lighting connector behind the trim would make it easier, but my experience with trim is that it never seems to go back neatly, but thats just me.

I have used a lot of LEDs in the interior to very good effect, but I am a little conserned re MOT and colour of the light.

I have always though that the empty area in the top of the light light unit was a waste and is just asking for a second LEDs side light in there.

#5 ·
I'm not brave enough yet! Maybe after the MOT and when it is warmer!

I did just look at the rear trim that it suggests you remove to get at the lighting harness, and it is one large piece covering the upper half of the rear side with lots of trim to tuck back in after.

#6 ·
Thanks Umbongo and Chris.

If my memory serves me right, I have taken the trim off (or part of it) late last year to fit Acoustex sound deadening pads in the roof. And indeed there are screws to take out before removing the trim panel. I have tried unsuccessfully to remove the trim panel but shall seek with more attetion/skill how to do it. Usually something breaks with force or exessive force that is why I rather ask for help before breaking something.

The white clips usually break (or part of it) and I have a few spares on hand to replace those that break. I believe the plastic gets harder due to age and therefore break when panels are removed.

I shall take photos of the removal of both the trim panel and the rear lamp as I go along to post in future.

From what I gather, the same type of bulbs are used at the indicators and the reverse light (in the bumper see attached file). On first enquiry, I was told that the LED replacement is not available in South Africa. I shall keep on searching.

(Umbongo, I posted a reply on the back seat at the topic).

Attachments

#7 ·
jcvdsa said:
Thanks Umbongo and Chris.

If my memory serves me right, I have taken the trim off (or part of it) late last year to fit Acoustex sound deadening pads in the roof. And indeed there are screws to take out before removing the trim panel. I have tried unsuccessfully to remove the trim panel but shall seek with more attetion/skill how to do it. Usually something breaks with force or exessive force that is why I rather ask for help before breaking something.

The white clips usually break (or part of it) and I have a few spares on hand to replace those that break. I believe the plastic gets harder due to age and therefore break when panels are removed.

I shall take photos of the removal of both the trim panel and the rear lamp as I go along to post in future.

From what I gather, the same type of bulbs are used at the indicators and the reverse light (in the bumper see attached file). On first enquiry, I was told that the LED replacement is not available in South Africa. I shall keep on searching.

(Umbongo, I posted a reply on the back seat at the topic).
Thank you for taking the time to post photos as this can help other members. :thumbs:

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

Find attached a file "How to" with photographs. It is not necessary to remove any trimpanels on the inside.

Was easy to remove and fit and did not take more than a few minutes. I used a big screwdriver. Difficulty level perhaps 2/10.

Chrisuk, you will not believe how easy until you did it!
:thumbs:

View attachment Nissan X-Trail T31 rear lamp removal photos.pdf

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.