It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: De-chroming the boot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Hi folks - I posted some time ago that, as I'm not a fan of the brightwork (i.e. any chrome bits), I'd want to paint over it to make it more subtle and less "bling" ;-)

So, you open the boot and you put something on the locking catch on the floor (I just put a small plastic clamp but you just can put anything on it which stops the boot from locking if the boot closes accidentally). I'm not disconnecting anything connected to the locking mechanism, but this 'how to' is for others who may wish to and it's better to be safe than sorry! :grin:

For those who are more experienced, please excuse me taking this to the very basic level but I'm aiming this at those with absolutely no knowledge and are novices.

Firstly, you remove the 2 bolt/clips at the bottom of the boot by using a small flat blade to lift the centre, and that allows you to pull out the whole clip from the panel.

To the right of these clips is the hand recess which assists in closing the boot. It simply pulls out of the panel but I'd leave it in for now.

Attachment:
Bolt holes.jpg

The boot panel is held on with push clips and you simply have to pull the panel down to remove it. However, there is an electrical connection to the light in the panel, so I'd advise going to the section of the panel above where the light is, on the boot panel. If you pull down the section at the edge of the rear windscreen, to allow you to reach in behind the panel, you have to unclip the electrical connection by pulling it off the connector.

Attachment:
Light connection.jpg

Now, you can pull away the hand recess as if you got a bit carried away and pulled down too hard on the panel, you could end up removing the whole panel from the boot and, because the panel is quite heavy, you'll 'rip' out the light connection and may damage the connectors and/or light fitting. The hand recess will stop the boot panel from being pulled away, and once it's removed, the whole panel will simply pull off.

Here's a picture of the back of this panel, which shows where all the holding clips are.

Attachment:
Back of panel.jpg

I'm going to have to stop here and start a new post as I can only upload 3 photo's, so see you soon!

Cheers

Bloggsy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: De-chroming the boot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:11 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Now you have access to the rear of the boot, you can see how the panels, etc are fitted.

The panel I'm looking at is held on by 4 nuts. You have to look at where the panel is and then to the back of the boot and you should see them. You can also see 2 black coloured nuts on the same 'level', which are the fitting for the rear view camera and should be left alone.

The nuts require an 8mm deep socket set to undo, and once they're away, you can pull down the boot and pull off the panel from the outside of the boot.

This is the back of the panel.

Attachment:
Rear of panel.jpg

You can see the wiring and it's probably going to be quite dirty, never having been removed. I managed to find 2 spiders living there! :o

This is a picture of the fitting plate for the rear view camera. Over the years, it's had rain coming down between the gap from the boot and the chrome panel, so it's extremely rusty.

Attachment:
Rusted plate.jpg

I just put some rust treatment on it and left it - I might come back to it another day! :whistle:

Anyway, the chrome panel is now free and to save time and hassle, I just left it attached by the electrical wiring and taped / masked off the area and spray painted it whilst still 'dangling'. For a better standard of finish, you should disconnect it from the car but TBH, this was just an experiment and I was using paint which you can peel off, if you're not satisfied.

I then added a layer of clear coat, just for better weather protection and, once everything was dry, re-fitted the panels by reversing what I did earlier. Here's the result.

Attachment:
Final result.jpg

I know this will not be to everyone's taste, but I quite like it and I'll think about covering up the writing on the boot next!

Cheers

Bloggsy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]