Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

DRL modification

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  biggun 
#1 ·
Hi all,I am planning to replace the existing front fog lamps on my T31 with a combined DRL & fog lamp unit.I have the dimmer unit to go inline so the DRL's dim when headlamps are used.I'm wanting to wire them in such a way as factory cars are set up... in that when I set my exterior lighting to 'auto' on the light stalk, the DRL's operate,and if I switch the stalk to 'off' they will turn off.The idea being that I can just leave the stalk at 'auto' all the time. Should I be somewhere where I need compete darkness with the ignition on, I can turn to 'off'

So ...any electrical whiz have an idea on how I would find something that is a 'live' to tap a supply from, when the light stalk is in 'auto' position ?

I can always run them off a live ignition source then through a rocker switch but I'd rather do it as factory as I can.would anyone want a 'how to' on this?

Cheers - Rob

#2 ·
On a 2017 Jeep Grand cherokee the DRLs are on when the switch is off and engine is running.

You can search a fuse in the fusebox wich is hot when engine is running. I plan to install a DRL control box. with 13,1V the drl will switch on. Dimmig wire from sidelights.

#3 ·
Hi biggun - here's a link to a thread I did a while ago re DRL's:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30513

I used a power relay switch which was connected directly to the car's battery for power, with connections to the DRL and a connection to one of the sidelights.

Then, when the car starts, the DRL's come on and when the sidelight comes on (whether from you switching on your lights yourself, or from the lights being on Auto), the DRL's dim but remain on. When you switch off the car, the DRL's remain on for 30 secs (they're supposed to help guide you back towards your house), then turn off.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.