It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.5 performance upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:49 pm 
Soft Roader

Ok, random question this is just out of curiosity, has anyone added any performance modifications to the engine on their 2.5's? I'm not really familiar with the engine although I have owned an Almera GTI and a s14a running 300hp. We have the obvious breathing mods and I know that it's not exactly a speed machine, plus isn't designed for that, but just out of curiosity?

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: 2.5 performance upgrades
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:04 pm 
Xtrail Nut

I'm no expert on the QR25DE engine, but I'd imagine that the block is the same that is used across other models in V Spec form.

I see this company offer a turbo kit http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/vi ... +Kit+02-06

This perhaps indicates that the block is offered in both non turbo and turbo guise.

Kind regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:15 am 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T30 2.0 petrol auto
Year/Plate: 03/2003
Colour: blue
Mods: none deliberate
Interesting question, Salty.
I've got the 2.0 auto and don't find it lacking in performance except on motorway gradients, when it tends to kick out the overdrive. But it's a high revving engine.

I've looked at the cars advertised for sale from Japan, and could be tempted by an X-Trail GT, with the 280HP 2.0 turbo engine. They are relatively scarce, but if Nissan can get that sort of power from a 2 litre engine then it should be possible to uprate a 2.5

Apart from induction kits and exhausts there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for the XT petrol engines. But if you look at the Primera owners club blog there's stacks of stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:14 am 
Xtrail Nut

SteveB48 wrote:
I've got the 2.0 auto and don't find it lacking in performance except on motorway gradients, when it tends to kick out the overdrive. But it's a high revving engine.

I've looked at the cars advertised for sale from Japan, and could be tempted by an X-Trail GT, with the 280HP 2.0 turbo engine. They are relatively scarce, but if Nissan can get that sort of power from a 2 litre engine then it should be possible to uprate a 2.5

Apart from induction kits and exhausts there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for the XT petrol engines. But if you look at the Primera owners club blog there's stacks of stuff.

That would be the SR20VET, T standing for turbo, in the X-Trail GT spec.

It's impossible to get huge HP out of a normally aspirated engine, other that bolting a turbo onto it. An engine is basically an air pump. The more air you can get in (and out) the more power (volumetric efficency) you can generate.

Induction kits and bigger exhausts can often give you less HP, unless the ECU is flashed. This is because the MAF will meter the air for any given load, RPM etc and changing those settings without reflashing an ECU, with the aid of a rolling road, will not give the extra power you may think you're getting.

Have a look at this clip to see how much less HP a car makes when you bolt on an exhaust and add an induction kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOsEuScaT78

Kind Regards,

Eoin

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:10 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Location: The Netherlands, Maartensdijk, centre of the country
Car:: Nissan X-Trail
Model: 1.6 Tekna 2 wheel drive
Year/Plate: 2018
Colour: Dark Brown
Mods: Dark brown with broken white upholstery. Tow-hook, fire extinguisher, LED Matrix headlights, LED interior and boot-light, handmade semi leather back-seat cover (dogs), booth-liner, wind deflectors, 4 seasons tires, BOSE audio + sub-woofer, Class 3 alarm
Quote: ... Almera GTI and a s14a running 300hp.....
I once had the predecessor: the Sunny coupé GTI. The hell of a car: twin camshaft, 1800 cc (As far as I remember, could be 2000) and a go...... wauw! Drove 230-240 on the clock! Of what I remember, the head was red, the car white. In those days (1987) a super-car (although for me it was) See pic.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:47 pm 
Xtrail Nut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 pm 
Soft Roader

eoinsully wrote:
SteveB48 wrote:

That would be the SR20VET, T standing for turbo, in the X-Trail GT spec.

It's impossible to get huge HP out of a normally aspirated engine, other that bolting a turbo onto it. An engine is basically an air pump. The more air you can get in (and out) the more power (volumetric efficency) you can generate.

Induction kits and bigger exhausts can often give you less HP, unless the ECU is flashed. This is because the MAF will meter the air for any given load, RPM etc and changing those settings without reflashing an ECU, with the aid of a rolling road, will not give the extra power you may think you're getting.

Have a look at this clip to see how much less HP a car makes when you bolt on an exhaust and add an induction kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOsEuScaT78

Kind Regards,

Eoin

Good post!

My friend ran throttle bodies on his clio + a stack of other mods and remaps and gained 50hp for around 7k which seems horrendous as I gained 100HP on the SX for about £1500!

I know jap engines are generally tuned by owners but the 2.5 is a really odd engine. I haven’t found it in many UK cars, they all seem to be used abroad. The 2.5 is quite a rev happy engine and has torque very low down as I tend to trundle around at 1500 rpm in 5th everywhere. It just seems weird why more people in the tuning scene haven’t used it. For example, if it could be converted, why not stick it in an Almera if you automatically gain 20HP before mods, instead of spending loads on engine internals?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:33 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: T31
Model: Diesel auto
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: pearl white
Mods: Pedders lift, 235/65R17 tires, RH ZW 1 split wheels, ECU reflash, Major audio upgrade....
car this size needs torque. Turbo is the most effective way to produce it. Sideffects are that HP is increasing also.
Other mods (exept supercharger) are not worth it.