It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 10:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Burning rubber smell from front engine area
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:09 pm 
Burning rubber smell from front of my 2.0dci trek

I have an intermitant burning rubber smell which comes from the front of my x trail. It mostly occurs when I am parking or turning right, the smell is extremely strong and you would think someone has set aload of tyres on fire under the bonnet. My Nissan garage don't seem to be able to find the problem it started about 3 months after I bought the vehicle from new. Has anybody experienced a similar problem,

Simon

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Burning rubber smell from front engine area
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:06 pm 

Simon, Interested in your post. I have also noticed a strong burning smell from my 2007 diesel. As you said the smell was very strong ( at the time I was seriously worried it was going to go on fire !). However I have only experienced it the once, about 6 weeks ago. I had just returned home from a short trip of about 10 miles and noticed the smell when I got out. I had a look under the bonnet at the time but could not identify anything unusually hot - or where the smell was coming from.

It has not happened again.

I'd be interested in whether you continue to experience this and what the outcome is.

Bob

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:13 pm 
gents, I have experienced this as well. It may be the exhaust . This seems to get extremely hot to burn off the oil particulates. I took my 58 2.0 ltr to the Nissan dealership in Worthing and they couldn`t find the cause of the smell either. It doesn`t seem to happen very often ( mainly after short duration journeys over a period of time) and it seems to correspond with a difficulty in selecting gears ( this may be something to do with the wife driving it all the time ).ps this is not a sexist comment !!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:54 pm 
i've had this experience but not in my xtrail. my 97 corolla exhibits the same strong burning rubber smell after i've parked it. i guess it is from the aircon or alternator belts. have not had time to have it checked but so far there has not been any performance deterioration.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:14 pm 
I have also experienced this problem, I finally traced it to a track rod end that had too much play and was causing wear on very inside edge of the tyre.

Worth a quick look, pretty cheap fix too!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:27 pm 

Had similar problem turned out to be the oil filler cap leaking occasionally. Mine is 2.5 Petrol with LPG.

Profile Send private message