Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Chips

21K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  scousy 
G
#1 ·
HI, does anyone have any experience of chipping diesels? I've recently bought a 2.0 diesel automatic and am looking to boost my economy and thi sseems like a 'fun' way to do it.
I've been looking at 1 from a company called Tunit, this is alink to a reprinted test of a chipped Quahqai which uses the same engine http://www.tunit.com/resource/press_rel ... ashqai.pdf
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

G
#3 ·
Hi apj,

My 2.2Dci is "chipped", I had a few problems in the first instance, If you have it set up for maximum performance it tends to put the car into limp mode if you accelerate hard. It does make a difference even on a slightly steadier setting, it gets rid of the flat spot at 4000rpm, economy seems better, and it make for a more smiley experience all round. I don't know about tuning the 2.0, but just be aware you may not get all that is promised. I also opted for a K&N air Filter.

Hope this helps

#4 ·
i was going to go with chipping but was warned away due to problems and warrenty issues :eek:

anyway i have a tuning box on now and WOW :D
the box i have is from these guys
http://www.dieseltuner.co.uk/contact.html
the box i have is the spider found here (same people)
http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/
they fitted it for me and run around with me till i was happy
it unclips for the service or any warrenty work
i put it on and then after a couple of days i took it off to see what the difference was
i did indeed notice when it was missing

they may not list it on their website yet but they do have it
call them and tell them brett with the 07 x-trail told you to ring
they will look after you as they did for me ;)

G
#5 ·
Hi,
Anyone have any more information on this issue.
There are lots of companies offering diesel chips now and claiming increases in power and economy.
Prices around £400 which they say are simple to fit or they will come and fit them for you FOC.

#6 ·
I chipped a Jeep Cherokee a couple of years ago, the results were impressive. The car was much quicker, mid-range acceleration was brilliant, and fuel consumption was improved by 4 mpg. As for insurance, I told my insurers I needed more torque to tow my caravan, they said OK, made a note and didn't up my premium.
I'll see how my 173 Dci tows, if necessary 200bhp beckons!
If you fancy it do it, but don't tell the wife. They don't seem to understand us boys and our toys.
Hope this helps.
Kelba1946

#8 ·
amacmichael said:
I have been looking into the tuning accessories a little. Still haaaant made up my mind: - is it a YES or a NO?

Shaggy do you have any more information or an update?

Appreciate the help
well
i got rid of the 08 t31 and bought a 09 t31 sport auto for £18k when nissan were doing there special money off deal a couple of months ago :biggrin:
i have had it fitted from 500 miles and its better on acceleration :biggrin: and fuel efficienty(sp?) since fitting
although the engine is not really run in is it? i now have 3000 miles on the clock and the engine is freeing up a bit
i will take it off when it hits 5000 and re-check it is working as it should
if you are local or am passing let me know and i will let you have a go with mine

#10 ·
jonnyn said:
Does anyone know anything about the chip boxes being sold on ebay for £100? Seem really cheap so would like to know if they make any difference or not!

Would apperciate some help with this as I am a bit of a novice!!
Stay clear of any clip on device as they only fool your engine into thinking its bigger.
The way forward is to have a professional remap your engine the costs are between £300-400 depending on who does it.
All older (pre t31 models) come from the Manufacturer as 40% efficient so there is plenty of tolerance in the engine, a stage 1 remap will improve your engines efficiency by 20% boosting a typical 2.2 DCI to around 160-165 bhp and around 278 lbs of torque.
I have a TD5 Disco which I had remaped and the improvement is very noticable, also as you have more torque at your diposal there is no need to drop down gears (when towing up hills) therefore increasing the fuel economy. My remap was done 2 yrs ago and the reliabily is second to none.
My advice would be to get your X Trail remaped NOT CHIPED, you wont regret it.
PS if you then drive it like a boy racer it will cost you more in fuel.

#11 ·
Hi Soren,

Who did you get to re-map your X-Trail? Are they a nationwide company or where in the country did you get the work done?

You say a stage 1 re-map, I am assuming that there is a stage 2 re-map too? Any thoughts or previous experiences with a stage 2 re-map if one exists?

#12 ·
Hi xtruck, I took my Disco TD5 back to the place I bought it from LRC in Congleton,they took it to a local tuning company.Loads of places do it just make sure its a remap and not a chip,Another thing is its totally reliable and undetectable unless you need to upgrade it, then out comes the computer again so no worries with Mr Insurance.

PS yes I did say Disco TD5, I am on here because I like the Xtrail and am considering buying one.
My Disco is 100% reliable and very good on fuel when towing (between 24-27 depending on weather and road conditions) but around town (and that's where most of my journeys are it cant match the Xtrail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.