Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Oil catch can pipes

26K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  sleepy 
#1 ·
Hi folks - my catch can arrived but I'm not sure where the pipes/tubes fit to the engine! :roll:

I've done some searching and found a lot of posts but I'm after an 'idiots' guide with photos so I don't muck it up, please.

I'm not too bothered about photos of the fitment of the can - just where I should 'access' the air system. Any help would be, as always, appreciated.

Thanks

Bloggsy

#3 ·
Truck Driver said:
http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20377

also worth reading,

http://com1.runboard.com/baustralianxtrail.f34.t123884
Thanks Truck Driver - I had seen these 2 posts but unfortunately the first thread's picture had the engine cover still on so I can't see where the pipe is connected to the engine.

The second thread talks about the PCV so I've been trying to find that hose!

Regards

Bloggsy

#4 ·
Hi bloggsy
Remove the engine top cover - 4 push in-plugs underneath Just run your fingers around underneath until you find them then pull upwards gently
You will see a pipe running from the top of the camshaft cover to the air box. Remove this pipe and replace with the two pipes going to the oil catch can. One pipe to the air box, one pipe to the top of the can cover.
Don't use the clear pipes which come with the catch can, buy some 15mm id nitrile rubber tube, you will need about 2 to 3 metres if you want to mount the catch can on the wing or front

There is a how to on the Australian xtrail website which you can download.
Best regards
Milton :thumbs:

#5 ·
milton said:
Hi bloggsy
Remove the engine top cover - 4 push in-plugs underneath Just run your fingers around underneath until you find them then pull upwards gently
You will see a pipe running from the top of the camshaft cover to the air box. Remove this pipe and replace with the two pipes going to the oil catch can. One pipe to the air box, one pipe to the top of the can cover.
Don't use the clear pipes which come with the catch can, buy some 15mm id nitrile rubber tube, you will need about 2 to 3 metres if you want to mount the catch can on the wing or front

There is a how to on the Australian xtrail website which you can download.
Best regards
Milton :thumbs:
Fantastic! :bow:

Thank you very much Milton. Just to clarify, is it the pipe that goes to the round plastic part on top of the engine?

#7 ·
Thanks again Milton - I took off that pipe at the engine end and found a couple of drips of oil so this can should help :biggrin:

I'll hopefully get this fitted next week when I have some free time. I'll post a PIC then.

Regards

Bloggsy

#8 ·
bloggsy said:
Truck Driver said:
Thanks Truck Driver - The second thread talks about the PCV so I've been trying to find that hose!

Regards

Bloggsy
The PCV is on the Petrol model and doesn't apply to your diesel.
Keep scrolling down to the T31 section and look for the Provent fitting DIY. Although your catchcan is different, the Provent does the same job but better and the 2 hoses will still attach the same way.
When you have the document open, scroll down until you find the picture with the hose marked "remove this hose" and that will be what you are looking for. The following pics in that document will show you how to run the new hoses.

#11 ·
Tried fitting the can today but found the hose that came with it was too small :headbang: and then I noticed the previous posts and had a hard job finding a hose with an internal diameter of 15mm but eventually tracked down a company in Leeds, so if it gets to me tomorrow, I'll try again :roll: !!

I've put the can down by the battery (underneath the air intake) and cable tied it to the battery clamp, so I can loop the hose round the nearside of the engine bay.

Hope to have a pic for you guys soon!

Regards

Bloggsy

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Finally got some more dry weather and time off, so I've now managed to fit my catch can.

Can install.jpg

Thanks to all for showing me where the pipes go! :bow: I hope I've got it right!! :roll:

This is my engine with everything back on

Can final.jpg

How does that look to everyone?

Also, is it just me or when I first fired up the engine with the new catch can, the revs seemed to drop slightly but after a few seconds, it came back up to 'normal' idle.

Bloggsy

Attachments

#13 ·
Hi Bloggsy

Where did you source the 15mm tube as i'm looking for the same. Also appears from one of your later pics i saw you have relocated the catch can to closer to where the pcv hose originally connected to the inlet pipe....where did you secure the bracket in that area? May as well ask what tyoe of catch can you have and where you got it.

Sorry for the multiple questions...looking to fit a catch can on my x trail ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.