It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: what can be done to upgrade the off road performance
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 pm 

im looking to do some greenlaining in my new x trail in going to put a/t tyres on but what else can be done as parts seem to be hard to come by.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
My Photo Gallery
 Post subject: Re: what can be done to upgrade the off road performance
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:16 pm 

i take it no one has any idea. well if anyone is interested ive found a 50mm suspension lift from australia which is £250 and i think i can make a bash plate to cover the sump.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:28 pm 
Soft Roader

Where is the suspension lift from?

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:57 pm 

its a lift kit for the struts so u dont loose any ride quality but gain valuable ground clearance and you dont have to change the springs its on an australian web site called www.4x4suspensions.com.au it seems to be a good option. ive also found some blue prints for a bash plate/sump guard as i noticed the sump and gearbox very exposed im going to make one from 5mm steel if its good i might fabricate some for selling purposes if there is any interest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:07 am 

Car:: X-Trail
Model: Aventura Explorer Extreme
Year/Plate: 57
Colour: Grey
Mods: Engine Re-Map to 180BHP, Witter Tow Bar, Hard Boot Liner, Lugage Net, iPhone Connector, 230V Mains Power, Towing Kit, First Aid Kit, Heavy Duty Jump Leads
Hi bigairjam

I've been searching desperately for 4x4 kit for my X-Trail, it seems nobody on this forum actually uses their 4x4 as a 4x4! I have just had mine Re-Mapped for a 30bhp increase, but I am stick looking for diff guards, sump guards and full front bar protection. Those struts look good, my only concern is that it will increase the centre of gravity of the car and maybe it won't handle as well in the corners on road?

But I am definitely considering that 50mm rise, along with some wider tyres! If you have any luck on the snorkel front, do let me know! So far I can only see them on the Aussie X-Trail forum!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.2 Di Sport(T30 - YD22ETI) Trans MT.F6
Year/Plate: Dec 51
Colour: Red AX6
By increasing your hight as you've said will change the centre of gravity on the XT making it more likely to turn over, also it will make your insurance void and any tyres wider than 215 will rub on the front inner wheel arch causing it to make a hole in it and cut into tyre wall.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:36 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Arctix 173
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: black
Mods: skid plate, Yoko AT's GO12 225/65/17
http://www.sgs4x4.com for the skid plates. It's a german website but they have the plates for the t30 and t31. You need to look in the unterfarhrchutz-shop tab at the top of the page and then click on the Union Jack.

Tyres, Yokohama geolander go12 which can be found in the 215 60 17 size for the t31. Black circles were selling these a couple of months ago.

Monkfish performance can supply you with pedders springs for the t31 also which i believe give you a 35mm lift.

Also those strut lift/spacers are for a t30 only and would not be suitable on a t31.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 pm 

Model: Aventura Explorer Extreme
Year/Plate: 57
Colour: Grey
Mods: Engine Re-Map to 180BHP, Witter Tow Bar, Hard Boot Liner, Lugage Net, iPhone Connector, 230V Mains Power, Towing Kit, First Aid Kit, Heavy Duty Jump Leads
Those skid plates look really good! Thanks dinosaur1974.

Do you know if the Yokohama tyres come in a wider tyre that won't rub on the inner wheel arch? Surely the bump stops can be wound in a bit for a slightly wider tyre than a 215 60 17?

35mm Lift sounds better than 50mm, keeping the centre of gravity low but giving a bit more clearance might be nice.

Cheers guys!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm 

Model: Sport X td
Year/Plate: 53
Colour: Black
Mods: Koni Shocks, K&N air filter, tuning box.
I have done some greenlaneing in Cumbria with my T30 xt when un modifyed and had no problems, was taking great care to position the car to avoid rocks/bolders hitting the sump/filter.
I am also considering that 50mm lift kit from Australia, though I would need to modify it to fit the adjuster shafts on my Koni shocks.
After seeing the prices for skid plates, I think I Will make one up my self out of checkerplate as it will probably be cheeper and I wouldnt be woried about banging it as opposed to thoes nice shiney ones you see advertised!
If you need insurance for your modifyed xt and like to go greenlaining give ADRIAN FLUX a call as their 4x4 insurance cover includes GREENLANING and they will happily accept MODIFICATIONS too! I asked them if they would cover my xt with that oz lift kit Koni shocks ect and they said "yep no problem"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:27 pm 

Model: Sport X td
Year/Plate: 53
Colour: Black
Mods: Koni Shocks, K&N air filter, tuning box.
I have been in touch with Superior Engineering in OZ who make the 50mm lift kit for the T30

I asked "Does the lift kit adversly affect the handling and stability of the X-Trail?"
Answerd "Not that we have found, as the independently sprung vehicles tend to deal with a lift quite well"

They also said they can make me a set to fit over my Koni shocks so i can get to the adjusters!
Will be ordering soon.