It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Air Filter Upgrade - CAI - Anyone done it?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:02 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: X-trail
Model: T31 2.0 DCi
Year/Plate: 2010
Colour: Haptic Blue
Hi Guys,

New to the forum. We have just purchased a new to us 2010 X-Trail 2.0 DCi. This is our second X-Trail, the first was the T30 2005 and served us very well with no issues during the 5 years of ownership and hopefully this T31 will bring us more of the same reliability.

My question relates to the air intake system and if anyone has done any form of upgrades such as a CAI? Is it possible? I've been looking and looking through the forum and internet and all I can see is people changing the panel filter for a K&N unit, and not much in the way of modifications.

The air intake is so restricted that I thought doing some form of upgrade could only be a good thing.

Haven't had a chance to take some pics of the new arrival yet, since it's dirty and dark out now, but will do this and post it in the readers rides section :thumbs:

Anyway, any help and or advice/links would be good, or even if there is no point in doing it, let me hear what you guys have got to say ;-)

Thanks!
Moe.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Air Filter Upgrade - CAI - Anyone done it?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:22 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Buy an obd scanner and monitor the intake air temp. Compare it with ambient temp, over 5c difference when driving at highway speed, then i would do some mods. T30 has more worse design in my eyes, but the temp difference is just 2 to3c at 90kmh. In traffic there is no difference, cai or not. Only cooling the IC helps.
Mighty Car Mod made tests on the dyno CAI, BOT and Sport filters. Search youtube.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:52 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
Nissan won't throw away horsepower for something as simple as getting their sums right on the air intake! It will be sized to flow as much air as the engine can possibly eat - plus a margin or error. Assuming your engine is standard, I can't see you gaining anything. The air filter is likely to provide more of a bottleneck and EVEN THEN it will have been designed to be able to flow enough air for the duration of the service peroid - even in hot duty climates.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:38 am 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
See here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZwohxFyoEI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:03 am 
Soft Roader

Thanks for the replies guys.

I did watch some of those vids from when you mentioned in your first post ahto42.

Guess the myth is busted and I'll stick with the good ol' stock filter.

When driving the xy I was hearing a lot of suction sound like is was restricted. Maybe I'll just take it apart and make sure there are no blockages and replace the panel filter with a new one. I've never really heard this kind of noise before when driving other cars....my reason for asking this question in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:43 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 171 bhp
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: grey
Mods: none
Moe. wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did watch some of those vids from when you mentioned in your first post ahto42.

Guess the myth is busted and I'll stick with the good ol' stock filter.

When driving the xy I was hearing a lot of suction sound like is was restricted. Maybe I'll just take it apart and make sure there are no blockages and replace the panel filter with a new one. I've never really heard this kind of noise before when driving other cars....my reason for asking this question in the first place.

Leaves in the inlet? What is CAI? Is your mpg OK, that should be a good indicator.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:09 am 
Xtrail Nut

The mod i would do is to isolate the air inlet to the turbo.
As on the videos, an aftermarket airfilter is very very cheap.

The T30 has a top mount intercooler. I installed a fan with a 40c temp switch. The fan was on in city driving in summer and the throttle response was better according to my butt. But the vibration wore out the fixings of the fan.

CAI-Cold Air Intake.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:32 pm 
Soft Roader

I'm going to have a look see over the weekend. I'm getting right now 41mpg, and I think that's pretty decent. Not sure how everyone else's compares.

Ahto42, I'm not sure what you mean by isolating the air inlet to the turbo as I thought this was already the case? How would I go about doing this mod? Do you mean to buy one of those cone filters are place it directly onto the turbo?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:27 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
Just take the air filter out altogether and see if it goes any faster. (I'd be surprised if it does). A blocked air filter usually manifests itself as a drop off in performance as engine revs increase. Even a pretty badly blocked one can usually flow enough air to let the engine idle and operate at small throttle openings. It's when air demand is highest (maximum power) that it wil lshow up. 41 to the gallon is brilliant by the way. We average about 32-33.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:38 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Moe. wrote:
I'm going to have a look see over the weekend. I'm getting right now 41mpg, and I think that's pretty decent. Not sure how everyone else's compares.

Ahto42, I'm not sure what you mean by isolating the air inlet to the turbo as I thought this was already the case? How would I go about doing this mod? Do you mean to buy one of those cone filters are place it directly onto the turbo?

By isolating i meant to wrap it with an isolating material, like on central heating pipes or just folium tape.