It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Air Filter Upgrade - CAI - Anyone done it?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:15 am 
Soft Roader

Car:: X-trail
Model: T31 2.0 DCi
Year/Plate: 2010
Colour: Haptic Blue
Ah right, I got you now. So by isolating it you're saying that the air intake won't be affected by the engine bay temperature thereby keeping any air sucked in 'cooler' and not being affected by the heat from the engine bay....?

Hopefully the mpgs stay around 41, quite happy with this. My brother gets about 30mpg with his focus ST! You must drive your xy like a race car ;)

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:21 am 
Xtrail Nut

IMO you should clean the EGR/electric throttle viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30873 and check all the pipes and clips are intact from the the air inlet all the way to the intercooler. The turbo pipe on the M9R is known to split, so check the underside. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44081

These things will effect performance and MPG.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:04 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Moe. wrote:
Ah right, I got you now. So by isolating it you're saying that the air intake won't be affected by the engine bay temperature thereby keeping any air sucked in 'cooler' and not being affected by the heat from the engine bay....?

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:31 pm 
Soft Roader

Thanks Eoin for the advice. I'll check these things out on the weekend along with the air ducts. I remember I cleaned the throttle body of my 2001 audi a4 many years ago and remember how much of a difference it made!

And thanks ahto42, we got there in the end lol ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:17 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Aventura Explorer Extreme 173 144K
Year/Plate: 08
Colour: silver
Mods: Mods? Green stuff 6000 brake pads
As well as the filter there is a mesh grill in front of it in the plastic piping, so unrestricted free air flow would appear to not be of great concern regarding engine performance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:39 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
Moe. wrote:

Hopefully the mpgs stay around 41, quite happy with this. My brother gets about 30mpg with his focus ST! You must drive your xy like a race car ;)

Those figures are with the wife driving - it's her car! The later T30s were a bit thirstier because they met the "Euro 4" emissions limits. The earlier ones were "Euro3". (Yes, to improve emissions you need to burn more fuel - it sounds bizarrer, but it's true)! She doesn't drive particularly quickly, but it is pretty hilly round here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:49 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
T31's ECU can be tuned very easy. So call your nearest good known tuner and do an eco tune.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:25 pm 
Soft Roader

eoinsully wrote:
IMO you should clean the EGR/electric throttle viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30873 and check all the pipes and clips are intact from the the air inlet all the way to the intercooler. The turbo pipe on the M9R is known to split, so check the underside. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44081

Kind Regards,

Eoin

Hi Eoin,

Thanks for the advice. I've had a read of the linked threads. I notice that you just have to remove a pipe and spray some egr cleaner...is it possible to remove the egr and clean it properly? Or is it best to do it the way described in the thread?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:52 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Moe. wrote:
eoinsully wrote:

Kind Regards,

Eoin

Hi Eoin,

Thanks for the advice. I've had a read of the linked threads. I notice that you just have to remove a pipe and spray some egr cleaner...is it possible to remove the egr and clean it properly? Or is it best to do it the way described in the thread?

Hi Moe, I used a can of Wynn's on mines and left the egr in place. I resprayed again, after about 6 months and then 6 months after that I removed the egr (well - all bar the last section as I ran into a bit of difficulty finding a bolt! :oops: ). Anyway, I was amazed at how clean the egr was. I can't say 100% it was all down to the can of egr cleaner as I don't know what it was like before I used it, but I didn't gain much by removing and cleaning the egr valve. In future, I'll be sticking to the can! :whistle:

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bloggsy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:23 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Moe. wrote:
Hi Eoin,

Hi,

Yes, it's possible, but the advice depends on how infrequently the engine has been serviced, how adept you are mechanically and how much mileage the engine has covered. It's a judgement call you'll have to make for yourself.

Kind Regards,

Eoin