It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Diesel Performance Chip - Any one got one?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:16 am 

Car:: X-Trail
Model: 2.2DCi SVE
Year/Plate: 54
Colour: Silver
Mods: None
I can add my personal experience here all be it with a Skoda Fabia VRs

I drive the same route to work every day (17 miles) and have done so for 7 years, the Fabia was new and did 47 mpg on every tank fill.
Then I added the box of tricks, the car was transformed the mid range torque totally changed how you could drive. the 50-70 pick up was like that of a 3.0lt, seconds faster than the base car, it would pull cleanly from the bends and was more like an auto slip into 5th at 40mph and you would still be in 5th up to whatever you decided was safe and legal.

The mpg went up to 54 mpg on the very next tank.

The point here is if you drive the car as you did before the box/chip, the extra torque and the fact that is is available lower down in the rev range produces savings in your fuel as you can use higher gears. If you decide to use the extra power then you will inevitable use the fuel, its down to how you drive. Just because you have more power does not mean that you have to drive faster.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:42 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 171 bhp
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: grey
Mods: none
Mines (+wife) just been renewed with Direct line at £202
9 years ncd; retired; 13k miles limit; £350 excess; parked on drive / roadway; no points.
Last years was about £201

Perhaps this should be another thread?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T31 tekna manual
Year/Plate: 61
Colour: black
Mods: all terrain tyres, white fog light lens, tinted side indicators, dog guard, lefthand draw, towbar, various other little bits
I had an audi S3 before the x-trail. Before it was chipped i got about 24 MPG going to work and back which is 7 miles eachway in traffic. After i had it chipped by revo i got 29-30 MPG on the same journey, as the other guy said you have more performance available so you dont need to rev it as much etc.

I might chip the x-trail as it lacks a bit of power pulling out of corners if the revs are not high. But i have been used to petrol cars for well over 23 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 pm 

Car:: X Trail
Model: Tekna DCI - Manual
Year/Plate: 2013 / 13
Mods: Spider perf box on the way. I also now want side-steps
Back to the issue of the Spider Box

OK, so I have one now

I paid a car electrician to fit it, but the Engine Management light kept going on

I fiddled around with the power settings, no change at all

I even removed it and engine light still on

I start scratching my head, I get the RAC out to daignose the issue, had obviously removed all trace of spider

They just deleted the light on their laptop

Drove 650 miles with no probs at all

Contacted Spider and they asked me to send pictures of where the spider was installed which i did, email received back saying it was in completely the wrong place

They sent me further pictures which indicates that the CORRECT port is underneath a pipe to the right of the engine bay

Trouble is that there is almost no room beneath the pipe AND I have a metal shield below the pipe anyway and all connectors have been wrapped in insulating tape

Not a clue what to do now!!!

B
Attachment:
Download+All+Attachments+[FW+Engine+View].zip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:26 am 
Soft Roader

Model: 2.2DCi Elegance
Year/Plate: 2005
Mods: I have one tattoo and my left ear pierced...(",
Ah sorry to hear that Ben, its a right kick in the nutz when you spend money and get nothing but grief...Its a bit late now but why didnt you just get the ECU remapped by a tuner. Every diesel car I had I got remapped and always had results, plenty power when I needed it and it seemed to improve the mpg.

I hope you get something sorted and the best of luck with it... :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Must admit this baffles me! When you think of the combined millions the major manufacturers spend on engine mapping alone, it seems incomprehensible that the odd small independent first can get more power AND economy simply be altering software!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 pm 

My '56 plate 2.2CDi Aventura achieves 42mpg on a run and never less than 37mpg normal day to day stuff, OK we don't thrash it to say the least, but I cant see how you could improve on these figures, even staying at the same power output, never mind after boosting it!

Barney

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:44 am 
Xtrail Nut

Blimey Barney! That's impressive! My Mrs gets about 32-33 in her normal running (OK, much of which is on hilly single-track roads) but I don't think we've ever had better than about 36-37 on a run!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 am 

Avocet wrote:
Blimey Barney! That's impressive! My Mrs gets about 32-33 in her normal running (OK, much of which is on hilly single-track roads) but I don't think we've ever had better than about 36-37 on a run!

To be honest, I was amazed also and check it regularly, the way I check is to fill her up to the absolute brim, drive a few hundred miles or more, fill her to the brim again and do the math, the very first time we did it, we got 36-ish, then I did a full service including Diesel filter, as recommended by my Nissan dealer (which was a b**ch to fit BTW) then my wife drove down to Northants and back and got 42.7! I only used to get 45 out of my A4! I repeat though, I drive as I was taught by IAM and take it easy through the gears, also on the motorway I don't feel any need to go above 60-ish, I usually catch up the 'fast Harry's' that whiz past somewhere down the road, which makes me feel smug ;-)

I think the diesel filter does make a difference as the one we took of was full of c**P at 60k which is what my girl had on when we bought her, although they aint cheap.

Cheers, B

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:27 pm 
Xtrail Nut

I agree on the genuine fuel filter (and about it being about 4 times harder to change than it needs to be!) but have still never got anything like that out of ours. Mind you, I've not done 60 on a motorway either! (well, except with the trailer on, but I guess that defeats the object somewhat)!