All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Exhaust heat wrap and turbo blanket
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:56 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Folks - looking for some thoughts on heat wrapping the exhaust downpipes and fitting a turbo blanket. Just hoping for a smoother running engine (maybe a more efficient engine / better MPG)?

I've seen some online posts about stressing the metal and decreasing its lifespan but other comments that it doesn't do that as badly as suggested, so it's quite confusing!

Has anyone actually tried / done it?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Exhaust heat wrap and turbo blanket
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:09 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T30
Year/Plate: 56
Colour: Silver
I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try it on a car with a DPF. When the DPF is doing a regeneration, the whole exhaust system doesn't half get hot! If you wrapped the front part (to retain even more heat), I think it might have knock-on effects further down the system, and I don't know whether the mounting rubbers and heat shields would be able to cope. On the other hand, I also don't know if the regen system is smart enough to monitor DPF temperature, in which case, it should simply do less of whatever it does to get the DPF temperature up anyway (which might make your regens more efficient and save a bit of fuel). I'm sceptical about whether you'd see any observable power benefit.

I guess the other problem with keping the heat in the turbo, is it might make it more prone to cooking its oil when you shut down.

Post subject: Re: Exhaust heat wrap and turbo blanket
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:46 am 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Thanks Avocet - I'd completely forgot about my DPF and the regens! :whistle: I don't think anyone of the online posts I'd read mentioned if their cars had DPFs (so I have to assume - not :confused: )

Oh well, I think I'll leave it alone! :|

Cheers

Bloggsy