All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Catch Can
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
I finally managed to get some time, in between the snow and sleet, to empty my oil catch can and thought I'd post the pics:

Attachment:
DSC_1652.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1653.JPG

100ml of gunk :o and I only emptied it 3 months ago!

So, for those who don't have a catch can fitted, this gunk would have recirculated back into the engine!

Cheers

Bloggsy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Oil Catch Can
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: SPORT X 2.2DI with SAFARI LIGHTS
Year/Plate: 2003/53
Colour: ARUBA BLUE BW06
Mods: LED Internal and Number Plate lights. Double Din Parrot Audioline Stereo. Nightbreaker Headlight Bulbs. Rubber Boot Liner. Home Made Roof Rack for Safiri Roof Rails. Fire extinguisher. First Aid Kit. 12V tyre pump inflator.
I will second you on that Bloggsy, here is a picture of mine when I emptied it into an old plastic wine glass

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:40 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: T30 SXL 2Ltr petrol, Manual .2WD
Year/Plate: 2006
Colour: Silver (Dirty)
Mods: Leather seats , Bull bars , SS side steps , Towbar, Radio .CD, Mp3 , Bluetooth , Wife who knows everything.
Hmmm ...

Been wondering about that myself ..
I pulled off the breather pipe coming from the crankcase cover ... hardly a puff through it and dry as a bone .
Now ... while I don't want to get excited with what appears to be good news .. I have to ask is there an internal valve along there somewhere .. there isn't one in the breather pipe and the crankcase vent appears to be just a metal outlet.

While I admit to being OTT about frequent top quality oil and filter changes
I'll be amazed if a 12 year old engine with around 120K Miles on it hasn't some blowby ..
Besides I'd never be that lucky ..

Kinda puzzled about it .. any suggestions / insights ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Mods: Leather seats , Bull bars , SS side steps , Towbar, Radio .CD, Mp3 , Bluetooth , Wife who knows everything.
jaykcee wrote:
Hmmm ...

Been wondering about that myself ..
I pulled off the breather pipe coming from the crankcase cover ... hardly a puff through it and dry as a bone .
Now ... while I don't want to get excited with what appears to be good news .. I have to ask is there an internal valve along there somewhere .. there isn't one in the breather pipe and the crankcase vent appears to be just a metal outlet.

While I admit to being OTT about frequent top quality oil and filter changes
I'll be amazed if a 12 year old engine with around 120K Miles on it hasn't some blowby ..
Besides I'd never be that lucky ..

Kinda puzzled about it .. any suggestions / insights ?

Ahhhhhh Lightbulb moment... :oops:

Sorry guys .... For some reason ...( mostly stupidity ) ... I expected the pcv pipe to be in the same location as I usually see it on engines .. right on top of the rocker cover .. It confused me that I couldnt see any sort of valve connected to it.
Mystery solved .

Well on checking my manual ... thats a breather pipe .. not the PCV pipe, which is a much smaller pipe from the middle of the back of the rocker cover as you face the car from the front.

So for the sake of anyone else who may be as stoopid as I am I edited an illustration to indicate the actual pipe connections.

The RED arrow indicates the Breather pipe.
The BLUE arrow indicates where the actual PCV pipe ( and valve ) are on a 2.0ltr 2006 T30 Petrol engine.

My apologies to anyone my earlier comments may have confused :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:51 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Wow Jaykcee, that's a great update. I'm sure those with your engine will find it useful :thumbs:

As a matter of interest, did you find any oily residue in the end?

Cheers

Bloggsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

bloggsy wrote:
Wow Jaykcee, that's a great update. I'm sure those with your engine will find it useful :thumbs:

As a matter of interest, did you find any oily residue in the end?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Thanks ... I did feel kinda stupid picking the wrong breather like that .. :oops:

I'll let you know what I find when and if it ever stops pelting rain here again ..
I have a catch can which I modded so that the internal inlet pipe extends down far below the outlet , around it for about half of its length is packed a metal scouring pad to make sure that any oil vapors condense instead of getting blown back out ..
I'll fit that as soon as weather permits .. :roll: