Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Oil Catch Can

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jaykcee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I finally managed to get some time, in between the snow and sleet, to empty my oil catch can and thought I'd post the pics:

DSC_1652.JPG

DSC_1653.JPG

100ml of gunk :eek: and I only emptied it 3 months ago!

So, for those who don't have a catch can fitted, this gunk would have recirculated back into the engine!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmmm ...

Been wondering about that myself ..
I pulled off the breather pipe coming from the crankcase cover ... hardly a puff through it and dry as a bone .
Now ... while I don't want to get excited with what appears to be good news .. I have to ask is there an internal valve along there somewhere .. there isn't one in the breather pipe and the crankcase vent appears to be just a metal outlet.

While I admit to being OTT about frequent top quality oil and filter changes
I'll be amazed if a 12 year old engine with around 120K Miles on it hasn't some blowby ..
Besides I'd never be that lucky ..

Kinda puzzled about it .. any suggestions / insights ?

#4 ·
jaykcee said:
Hmmm ...

Been wondering about that myself ..
I pulled off the breather pipe coming from the crankcase cover ... hardly a puff through it and dry as a bone .
Now ... while I don't want to get excited with what appears to be good news .. I have to ask is there an internal valve along there somewhere .. there isn't one in the breather pipe and the crankcase vent appears to be just a metal outlet.

While I admit to being OTT about frequent top quality oil and filter changes
I'll be amazed if a 12 year old engine with around 120K Miles on it hasn't some blowby ..
Besides I'd never be that lucky ..

Kinda puzzled about it .. any suggestions / insights ?
Ahhhhhh Lightbulb moment... :oops:

Sorry guys .... For some reason ...( mostly stupidity ) ... I expected the pcv pipe to be in the same location as I usually see it on engines .. right on top of the rocker cover .. It confused me that I couldnt see any sort of valve connected to it.
Mystery solved .

Well on checking my manual ... thats a breather pipe .. not the PCV pipe, which is a much smaller pipe from the middle of the back of the rocker cover as you face the car from the front.

So for the sake of anyone else who may be as stoopid as I am I edited an illustration to indicate the actual pipe connections.

The RED arrow indicates the Breather pipe.
The BLUE arrow indicates where the actual PCV pipe ( and valve ) are on a 2.0ltr 2006 T30 Petrol engine.

My apologies to anyone my earlier comments may have confused :roll:

Attachments

#6 ·
bloggsy said:
Wow Jaykcee, that's a great update. I'm sure those with your engine will find it useful :thumbs:

As a matter of interest, did you find any oily residue in the end?

Cheers

Bloggsy
Thanks ... I did feel kinda stupid picking the wrong breather like that .. :oops:

I'll let you know what I find when and if it ever stops pelting rain here again ..
I have a catch can which I modded so that the internal inlet pipe extends down far below the outlet , around it for about half of its length is packed a metal scouring pad to make sure that any oil vapors condense instead of getting blown back out ..
I'll fit that as soon as weather permits .. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.