All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EZ Oil Drain Valve
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:37 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 Diesel Aventura
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Black
Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Hi folks - 6 months ago, when I was doing my bi-annual service, I was doing the oil change when a gust of wind blew the stream of old oil from dropping into the oil pan and onto the monoblock. :o

Needless to say, I moved the pan and the wind subsided and the oil hit more of the mononblock! :x

By the time I'd finished, my arms and face were covered in as much oil as the ground (and that was a LOT!). Anyway, thinking there has to be a better way of doing oil changes I did some research on the internet and found the EZ Valve.

It has a metal ball which is held over the opening and closes it, preventing the oil from flowing out. A lever, located outside, moves the ball to one side and allows the oil to flow out when pushed up and to the side.

There's an extension which is screwed onto the bottom of the valve and you can attach a hose so the oil flowing out goes straight into whatever container you have ready, so there's little chance of spillage. If the container is nearly full, you just move the lever and it closes off the valve and you can swap containers.

Here's the valve and the extension

Attachment:
EZ Oil Drain Valve.JPG

Here's the mess of the container and oil pan underneath, and I did this on a reasonably calm day!

Attachment:
DSC_1877.JPG

And this is the valve fitted. It sticks out a little, but I've got the under-carriage cover so that should help protect it.

Attachment:
DSC_1878.JPG

I've replaced the oil and checked for leakage and it's all fine just now but I'll keep you posted. For the first time, I'm actually looking forward to the next oil change! ;-)

Cheers

Bloggsy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: EZ Oil Drain Valve
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:56 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Reversing sensors, Intercooler grille, Black gear stick, LED lights, DRLs, Black alloys, Headrest DVD, Oil Catch Can, Dashcam
Hi folks - just did my bi-annual oil change so thought I'd give you an update.

It was another gusty day (but not as bad as the day I did my last oil change) but a complete difference. I got the Exy warmed up and then up onto the ramps and removed the underside cover before I screwed in the adapter to the valve and stuck on a hose

Attachment:
Adapter fitted.jpg

I then put the hose into my empty container and opened the valve (obviously taking out the oil filler cap)

Attachment:
Hose fitted.jpg

The great thing was I didn't have to wait until the oil had cooled down and when the container was nearly full, I just closed the valve and swapped over containers. :grin:

It took me longer to remove the underside protector than to change the oil! :lol: :lol: And I would like to say there was no mess, but I did find 2 drops of oil, which I had to wipe off with paper tissue which was likely from the hanging hose when I took away the container and didn't wipe the end of the hose.

Hopefully, this will help keep me and my monoblock clean and the 'better half' happy! :whistle: ;-)

Cheers

Bloggsy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:54 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
Hi Bloggsy

Looks a neat bit of kit and good write up :thumbs:

Does the ball valve have a protective cap for when not in use ?

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T32 1.6dci nTec 4WD 5 Seater. Previous 04 T30 dci
Year/Plate: 2014 64
Colour: Grey
Mods: Detachable Swan Neck Towbar
I have something similar on my bike. It is similar to a schraeder valve fitted to air lines. Just remove ally cap and push on the connector with plastic tube attached and oil drains straight out. Can't remember the make but it's German sounding if I remember right. Just found it. Stahlbus oil drain valve.

My Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:53 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Vauxhall Antara
Model: 2.2 cdti se
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Carbon Black
Mods: None
cowboy wrote:
I have something similar on my bike. It is similar to a schraeder valve fitted to air lines. Just remove ally cap and push on the connector with plastic tube attached and oil drains straight out. Can't remember the make but it's German sounding if I remember right. Just found it. Stahlbus oil drain valve.

:thumbs: :bow:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:31 am 
Xtrail Nut

Hi Milton - thanks mate. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a protective cap but to be fair, the bottom end that's exposed is just a short threaded 'hole' so if it did get dirty, you'd just wipe the 'hole' and thread clean so you could screw on the adapter with the hose.

However, I also have the underside protector which also helps to keep the valve clean. I'll see how this fares over the winter but over the summer, it's been fine and didn't even need a wipe down before I screwed on the adapter :cool:

Cheers

Bloggsy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:08 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0 DCi N-Tec +
Year/Plate: 2013
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar + 13 pin electrics, mud flaps, front bug deflector side bump strips.
bloggsy wrote:
Hi folks - 6 months ago, when I was doing my bi-annual service, I was doing the oil change when a gust of wind blew the stream of old oil from dropping into the oil pan and onto the monoblock. :o

Needless to say, I moved the pan and the wind subsided and the oil hit more of the mononblock! :x

By the time I'd finished, my arms and face were covered in as much oil as the ground (and that was a LOT!). Anyway, thinking there has to be a better way of doing oil changes I did some research on the internet and found the EZ Valve.

It has a metal ball which is held over the opening and closes it, preventing the oil from flowing out. A lever, located outside, moves the ball to one side and allows the oil to flow out when pushed up and to the side.

There's an extension which is screwed onto the bottom of the valve and you can attach a hose so the oil flowing out goes straight into whatever container you have ready, so there's little chance of spillage. If the container is nearly full, you just move the lever and it closes off the valve and you can swap containers.

Here's the valve and the extension

Attachment:
EZ Oil Drain Valve.JPG

Here's the mess of the container and oil pan underneath, and I did this on a reasonably calm day!

Attachment:
DSC_1877.JPG

And this is the valve fitted. It sticks out a little, but I've got the under-carriage cover so that should help protect it.

Attachment:
DSC_1878.JPG

I've replaced the oil and checked for leakage and it's all fine just now but I'll keep you posted. For the first time, I'm actually looking forward to the next oil change! ;-)

Cheers

Bloggsy

Where did you get yours?
Been trying to find one for a while. Non on amazon, ebay only from US.
Malcolm.