Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

New tyres - limited options - down to two

13K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  bobwilson 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Had Dunlop SP 7000 on from the showroom. At 23,300 odd miles I am approaching legal tread limit on front two and have hardly touched the rear two (as it were).
Sadly, the driver side rear was found to have a screw in, located in such a place that the garage will not repair it as the puncture is too close to outside edge of tyre. So, with circa 1000 miles of driving to do this month, I have to think of the safety of my passengers and other road users and strongly consider replacing all four of the ******* (tyres, not passengers)! As if December isn't costly enough!

So, the factory fitted tyre size is 225/55R18 98H. Plugging that into the tyre supplier websites is coming up with some limitations. Plugging the vehicle make/model/year/engine etc. details in to those that offer the facility seems to that my model was not released with those tyre sizes. Annoying.

Anyway, due to budgetary concerns yet a preference for trusted names, I'm on the fence between Avon ZX7 and Pirelli Scorpion Verde. As fellow X-Trail owners, I'm hoping y'all might have some experience with either and can advise accordingly, please.

By the way, when enquiring about a like for like replacement, I had to sit down when given the quote. :eek:

Thanks folks.

M

See less See more
#2 ·
Teknafobe said:
Hi all,

Had Dunlop SP 7000 on from the showroom. At 23,300 odd miles I am approaching legal tread limit on front two and have hardly touched the rear two (as it were).
Sadly, the driver side rear was found to have a screw in, located in such a place that the garage will not repair it as the puncture is too close to outside edge of tyre. So, with circa 1000 miles of driving to do this month, I have to think of the safety of my passengers and other road users and strongly consider replacing all four of the b*****s (tyres, not passengers)! As if December isn't costly enough!

So, the factory fitted tyre size is 225/55R18 98H. Plugging that into the tyre supplier websites is coming up with some limitations. Plugging the vehicle make/model/year/engine etc. details in to those that offer the facility seems to that my model was not released with those tyre sizes. Annoying.

Anyway, due to budgetary concerns yet a preference for trusted names, I'm on the fence between Avon ZX7 and Pirelli Scorpion Verde. As fellow X-Trail owners, I'm hoping y'all might have some experience with either and can advise accordingly, please.

By the way, when enquiring about a like for like replacement, I had to sit down when given the quote. :eek:

Thanks folks.

M
I had Verdes, and they were good. I now have Cross climates from Mitchelin, and in a years usage I have found them very good. Not had the opportunity to try them in snow, but I have found them good on muddy caravan site fields. They were much cheaper through Black Circles.
Edit, just noticed that your tyre sizes are different to my 08 plate.

#3 ·
Thanks Chris.

I wish I'd the budget for Michelin right now as they'd be my first choice, given their reputation. However, they don't seem to offer the CrossClimate of any variety in my required size.

Given my research, Black Circles seem to have the most realistic fully-fitted prices, and they have an appointed fitter just 3 minutes drive from my house, so they're convenient too.

The time for my verdict is nigh. I appreciate the nod for the Verdes.

Best.

Mike

#5 ·
Hi, is have put Maxxis Premitra 5 225/55 17 on my T30, which have not long been out, and they stick like clue. That have top rating for wet grip. This is the direct link to Maxxis Premitra 5 225/55 R18 98V no eBay
The are A rated for the wet on the sticker, which is the highest they go, but it is an AA on the side wall, and I would not have anything less. Each letter down A to B, B to C is 8 feet extra in stopping distance from 70MPH.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUMMER-TYRE-M ... Sw0axZgDsq

#7 ·
Hi all.

Cheers for the updates.

Yokohama - an option in my size, yes, but they have a lower fuel efficiency rating which doesn't appeal to me at all. Neither does the lower 'wet braking' rating.
I mean, I like the look of chunkier tyres on an off-road capable vehicle, but for the little time I spend off-road, they're not so necessary so why burn more fuel and risk longer stopping distances in the damp UK climate...?

As for speed rating, I'm not sure I want to take any chances re. insurance co and their insistence on like-for-like tyres.

M

#8 ·
Ledsam said:
Your problem is that you are paying for your speed rating when picking tyres,
Choose a lower speed rating do you need it to go to H = 130mph?
T = 118mph UK speed limit 70mph could save £20 a corner?

Ian
correct,

you have to fit tyres for the max speed of the vehicle, not just the 70 uk limit,
xtrail is 112mph max so a T rating of 118mph is legal,

fit 118mph tyres on a car and on autobahn doing max speed of car of 155mph and your illegal,

and no good people saying not leaving UK,
as it could be sold on with tyres not suitable then taken abroad,

#9 ·
The drivers hand book specifies the correct speed reference and this must be used or better. On my 08 T31 the spec is actually 96 H {215/60R 96H}, but my crossclimates are 100V {215/60R 100V}. The 96 and 100 being the load index. Oddly, on the Mitchelin website, I note that 215/60R 100V is not listed?

#10 ·
I do love people stating the insurance clause to fitting tyres etc.
My problem is does anybody no what tyres should be fitted to the second hand car they have brought?
say the max speed to your xtrail is 112mph so T rating is ok at 118mph but the tyres you have fitted are H rating at 130mph
or even V rating at 149 mph?????
So how will the insurance company ever no any different?
What if you buy a car with special treads for semi off road and rated at Q,R or S and you have no idea what you are looking at?? as you think this is a standard fitment?
how can a insurance company void insurance for that. (Are you a tyre rating expert?)
And even Blackcircles tyres give me 3 different sizes with 2 different ratings, even a W rating 168mph??

Just my thoughts for when buying a second hand car and insurance company's asking if the car is standard. a little of topic sorry.

Ian

#11 ·
Truck Driver said:
Ledsam said:
Your problem is that you are paying for your speed rating when picking tyres,
Choose a lower speed rating do you need it to go to H = 130mph?
T = 118mph UK speed limit 70mph could save £20 a corner?

Ian
correct,

you have to fit tyres for the max speed of the vehicle, not just the 70 uk limit,
xtrail is 112mph max so a T rating of 118mph is legal,

fit 118mph tyres on a car and on autobahn doing max speed of car of 155mph and your illegal,

and no good people saying not leaving UK,
as it could be sold on with tyres not suitable then taken abroad,
I normally get H rating for mine - 130mph - and I have certainly have had indicated over 120mph on the Autobahn in Germany - though I normally cruise at 90 - 100 as fuel consumption is better, sometimes going to 110mph.

#12 ·
If you ae unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident the insurance company will almost certainly check your tyres for tread and that they are the correct specifications for the vehicle. If they find they're not it will be the ideal excuse to NOT pay out your claim.
In Germany as mentioned tyres are rated for the vehicle not just speed wise and must be correct or you are illegal, some tyres even have BMW, Mercedes and Porsche approval and must be fitted as opposed to a standard say Michelin of the same size and spec.
As for the X Trail, i've also found most tyre suppliers tell me I have 17 inch wheels and not 18's as fitted (goodyear I think had it right) I was looking at some Goodyear Ultra grips or I might be tempted with the Maxxis if they really are that good????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.