All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Climate control
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:33 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: Aventura Explorer diesel auto.
Year/Plate: 2008
Colour: Blue
Took our car out this morning for only the second time in 9 weeks and the air-con didn't work! ****** hot in there! Everything appeared normal, all the lights etc, and the fan was running fine, but blowing warm air, even when turned to maximum cold. It was working fine when I last used it a couple of weeks back. I'm guessing it is probably due to lack of use, but is there anything I should check?

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Climate control
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:03 am 
Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail
Model: 2.0 DCI 150 Sport Expedition Extreme
Year/Plate: 2008 May
Colour: Blade Silver
Mods: Roof Rails with Driving Lights / Nissan Chrome Side Bars / Tow Bar with Caravan Lights - All fitted in an earlier life!
I am not an expert on air conditioning systems as I've never had one stop working on a car, so I am sure others more knowledgeable will comment.
But, putting myself in your position, and as you say controls and light appear normal, I'd first of all be suspicious that some or all of the refrigerant (gas) has somehow leaked out of the air conditioning circuit. You'd have to drop by a garage that does air conditioning refrigerant and have them check the pressure in your system. When I was in charge of maintenance of a fleet of tour coaches as I told you, drivers were always ringing me when they were on tour to say that their air conditioning systems were blowing warm air, but everything else appeared normal on the control panel. I'm sure you had this problem more than once yourself ;-). I just called the likes of Sutrak to go out and put new gas in their system when parked at their overnight hotel. Even if there was a leak, it was good enough to get the tour completed.
In your car it's not that complicated a system, driven by the same external drive belt that drives the alternator and water pump etc. Check that the belt appears normal and that it is turning the air conditioning pulley.
But of course, before you do anything, wait to see if any others comment here first who may have had a similar problem and found a solution.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:22 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Model: 2.0dCi Tekna 173
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Ebisu Black
Mods: Nice full size mat in boot to stop dog sliding...and Celtic Remap 221hp!
I think there is a test you can do - I'll have a hunt around. I know on my Saab you could press 2 buttons and the system would do check and either say ')' being ok or '1' meaning vent motor problem or up to '8' meaning low gas.

I assume you've climate and have the a/c button on - think it comes on auto when I start.

Before this virus came up I'd have said go to Kwik Fit and get a re-charge. If it was full it would say and cost nothing but it really needs testing as they also put in a lubicant - without it all joints dry out and condenser ends up knackered. I think you can get cans online to do yourself but that would worry me as you could release some into atmosphere.

Looks like one of the reviewers of this one worked on a Nissan but make sure you have correct refrigerant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aircon-Recharg ... B00JVVURAW

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Adrian4X4 wrote:
I am not an expert on air conditioning systems as I've never had one stop working on a car, so I am sure others more knowledgeable will comment.
But, putting myself in your position, and as you say controls and light appear normal, I'd first of all be suspicious that some or all of the refrigerant (gas) has somehow leaked out of the air conditioning circuit. You'd have to drop by a garage that does air conditioning refrigerant and have them check the pressure in your system. When I was in charge of maintenance of a fleet of tour coaches as I told you, drivers were always ringing me when they were on tour to say that their air conditioning systems were blowing warm air, but everything else appeared normal on the control panel. I'm sure you had this problem more than once yourself ;-). I just called the likes of Sutrak to go out and put new gas in their system when parked at their overnight hotel. Even if there was a leak, it was good enough to get the tour completed.
In your car it's not that complicated a system, driven by the same external drive belt that drives the alternator and water pump etc. Check that the belt appears normal and that it is turning the air conditioning pulley.
But of course, before you do anything, wait to see if any others comment here first who may have had a similar problem and found a solution.

I don't think there can be a problem with the belt as the alternator and water pump seem to be running ok, but I will check. I had a similar problem to this on my Volvo once, and that was the compressor had packed up. It didn't go suddenly though, it became intermittent then finally stopped working altogether after several months.

Didn't have that problem on the coaches I drove because it was so long ago now that none of them had air-con! Most of them were getting on a bit when I drove them, and the buses I drove more recently were vintage London Transport double deckers, many of which didn't even have heating.

You could be right about the gas though, so if all else seems ok I might have to get that checked.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:51 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Norfolk Jim wrote:
I think there is a test you can do - I'll have a hunt around. I know on my Saab you could press 2 buttons and the system would do check and either say ')' being ok or '1' meaning vent motor problem or up to '8' meaning low gas.

I assume you've climate and have the a/c button on - think it comes on auto when I start.

Before this virus came up I'd have said go to Kwik Fit and get a re-charge. If it was full it would say and cost nothing but it really needs testing as they also put in a lubicant - without it all joints dry out and condenser ends up knackered. I think you can get cans online to do yourself but that would worry me as you could release some into atmosphere.

Looks like one of the reviewers of this one worked on a Nissan but make sure you have correct refrigerant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aircon-Recharg ... B00JVVURAW

Must admit I don't think I would want to do it myself with air-con. I don't know what sort of pressures are involved. It is climate control, so I just normally leave it running all year round and it regulates the temperature to what I have set it at. Normally works great. Before the virus the car was used virtually every day, but recently it has hardly been used at all. Can't help thinking this has something to do with it. Could a valve have stuck or something?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:23 am 
Off Roader

Model: 173 dCi Aventura
Year/Plate: 2009
Colour: Thundercloud
I have had to re-gas the aircon twice in the 9 years I have had my vehicle - last time about 18 months ago - used kiwi-fit (who are open in current situation) - they do a leak test first, and only re-gas if system secure. cost about £50.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:44 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail T31
Model: N-tec+
Year/Plate: '13 plate
Colour: Twilight grey
Do engine revs drop at tickover if you turn the AC on?
Mine didn't because the compressor electromagnetic clutch had failed. Annoyingly, it's not available as a separate part so I needed a new compressor (about £800 all in).

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:26 am 
Extreme Off Roader

Nimby wrote:
Mine didn't because the compressor electromagnetic clutch had failed. Annoyingly, it's not available as a separate part so I needed a new compressor (about £800 all in).

No, the engine revs don't drop at all, they never have. I think there is some kind of compensation built into the engine management system that compensates for the extra load. They used to drop on older cars I have had with air-con. The fault you describe with the compressor is exactly the fault I had with my Volvo, and strangely enough mine cost exactly the same. £800.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:43 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail T31
Model: N-tec+
Year/Plate: '13 plate
Colour: Twilight grey
Bus-man wrote:
Nimby wrote:

No, the engine revs don't drop at all, they never have. I think there is some kind of compensation built into the engine management system that compensates for the extra load. They used to drop on older cars I have had with air-con. The fault you describe with the compressor is exactly the fault I had with my Volvo, and strangely enough mine cost exactly the same. £800.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - on my T31 the tickover revs audibly drop when the AC clutch engages the compressor, then return to normal after a second or two.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:52 pm 
Extreme Off Roader

Nimby wrote:
Bus-man wrote:
Nimby wrote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear - on my T31 the tickover revs audibly drop when the AC clutch engages the compressor, then return to normal after a second or two.

No need to apologise, you were perfectly clear. The revs on my X trail never have dropped at all when the AC clutch kicked in, even when the air-con was working perfectly as it was a couple of weeks back. I have had cars in the past where the revs did drop, but they didn't on my previous car, a Hyundai Tucson, and they don't on my X Trail. I don't think they did on my Volvo either, but on that you could certainly hear the compressor cut in. I never noticed anything at all on the Tucson or the X Trail, and both worked perfectly - up to now. I think yours is a later model than mine, I don't know whether that makes any difference. Different engine?