It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: T31 Unusual Noise Just Occurred (M9R 2.0 DCI Engine)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:10 pm 
Off Roader

Car:: X-Trail
Model: 2.0 DCI 150 Sport Expedition Extreme
Year/Plate: 2008 May
Colour: Blade Silver
Mods: Roof Rails with Driving Lights / Nissan Chrome Side Bars / Tow Bar with Caravan Lights - All fitted in an earlier life!
Hi KevXtrail

Car is same year as yours, 2008, and has 106,000 miles with 5W30 oil.
A lot of people on here have had much higher miles on the T31 X-Trail without such an issue, but age may be a factor with mine just as much as mileage.

The first thing I'm going to look at now is the accessory drive belt with its various pulleys and belt tensioner. My clattering / light clonking sound increases when I engage the air conditioning, suggesting that it is the air conditioning compressor itself (hopefully not), the belt tensioner (more likely), any one of the other pulleys, or a fault that has been described in another thread (linked a few comments up) where a rubber insert on the main crankshaft pulley starts to degrade and crack causing it to rattle.

The recommended process of elimination is to release the tensioner, remove the accessory belt, then run the engine for a short period to see if the noise disappears. Obviously not too long as alternator and water pump will not be connected. When belt is off I'll spin the tensioner, idler and other component pulleys in turn by hand to see if any of them has bearing wear noise, roughness or looseness.

I haven't yet had a day off work with dry outdoors weather (Northern Ireland) to explore problem further :sad:
Hopefully that will happen on Tuesday and/or Wednesday.

Adrian

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:14 am 
Off Roader

Mods: Roof Rails with Driving Lights / Nissan Chrome Side Bars / Tow Bar with Caravan Lights - All fitted in an earlier life!
On Monday evening after work I removed the accessory drive belt from the crankshaft pulley and ran the engine for a short while without it.
I believe the clattering noise goes away so at least it is not an internal problem such as timing chain guides etc.
Here is the result of my assessment of each pulley which doesn't make me all that much wiser:
- Tensioner has some noise when spun and a little lateral movement but not severe. Certainly the bearing is not on the verge of breakup or anything like that.
- Idler is silent without any looseness.
- Power steering pulley turns quietly and has no lateral movement.
- Alternator pulley spins freely with no lateral movement.
- Air conditioning pulley spins freely and quietly as far as I can ascertain, but has some lateral movement and noise if I try to shake it with force.
- Main crankshaft pulley obviously cannot be spun by hand. It does have a small lateral movement if force is used. However according to another thread it has a rubber insert (for damping purposes I take it) so some lateral movement I judge is to be expected. Rubber insert cannot be seen, pulley appears to be in at least two pieces with a metal outer disk/plate tightened over the actual grooved pulley wheel hiding it from view.

So at least there is nothing in dire need of urgent replacement, none of the bearings are on the verge of collapse.
So I may consider fitting a new tensioner to see what happens.
Drive belt itself is in good condition with no cracking or splitting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 am 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
The some noise is amplified while engine running. How old is the belt? any wearing marks?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:59 pm 
Off Roader

Ahto42
I don't know how long the belt has been on the car. It was there when I bought the car in 2018 and car's previous service in the logbook suggests belt has been on the car for at least 39,000 miles / five years minimum, perhaps much longer. Belt has no cracking or obvious wear and when I compared it beside a new belt, it wasn't any longer, so it hadn't stretched.

Yesterday I fitted a new tensioner (from Schaeffler) and accessory drive belt (from Micro-V). Total price from my local motor factor was £70.72 and quality of tensioner and belt appear to be good.

The job was very easy indeed once the small plastic panel was removed (seven push in clips) and the front part of the wheel arch plastic interior guard was removed (five hex screws and a couple of push in clips). The tensioner has only two small bolts and neither were difficult to remove. Just take a couple of photos to remind you how belt is fitted as it does go around six different items! I will put a diagram below that I found online. Its not perfectly to scale but its ok. The tensioner and idler sit much closer to the crankshaft pulley in reality.

The unusual knocking noise now appears to have gone. Hopefully that's the end of that issue.

PS/I am however aware of a small click when I engage the air conditioning and a slight drop in engine revs which lasts a couple of seconds before stabilising. I did not notice any change before when air conditioning was turned on or off, but perhaps I just missed it.

Attachment:
Drive Belt Course.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.