Post subject: new turbo needed?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:06 pm 
Soft Roader

Car:: Xtrail
Model: 2.0 Aventura T31
Year/Plate: 2009
Colour: grey
Hey guys

i dont have many problems with my T31, but today ive got one!
Just had an MOT and service, passed the MOT but the garage declined the service based on finding the air filter "soaked in oil" and a pool of oil in the housing. Now i am aware of some oil in the housing, and i changed the air filter fairly recently. I also noticed at the time of changing the filter that the intercooler hose from the engine was spitting some oil out, it was loose so tightened it up. Now this.

Garage say that he doesnt want to service it as it may put all the fresh oil back into my turbo and thats it. Hes given me the option to get the work done, so ive to ring them back early september as they are fully booked.

I wanted to know, as i have no indication yet that the turbo is failing, is this common and is there anything i can look out for? Ive no whistling yet, car picks up really well, no smoke, MPG is very good...

Since i tightened my intercooler hose, it hasnt leaked any more oil (im guessing its pushing more oil back through the air filter i dunno?).

they have quoted me approx £800 for recon turbo incl service and labour etc, but i was thinking about that intercooler and is it worth checking it, changing it at the same time - ive put that to the garage so hopefully they will check and do if neccessary.

my car is 111k miles, and has a fairly easy life. I love the car and will fix it, but i cant find too much about turbo failures, so its hard to gauge if i can continue to drive up and down the country between now and mid september...it cant have been this bad that long as its only 3/4 months since i last changed the air filter...

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: new turbo needed?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:13 pm 
Off Roader

Model: T30 Ti Series 1
Year/Plate: 2003
Colour: Silver
Mods: Too many to list here :o) See my ride from my signature link
There is a common fault with the oil separator in the M9R diesel engine of the T31 which causes oil to leak through into the intake system, pooling in the intercooler, turbo housing and on the air filter.
It is well documented in our Aus Xtrail Forum.

Many of our members have fitted a Provent oil filter to stop this and have had no problems since. All that is needed afterwards is regular emptying of the Provent filter at each regular service.

You can find details http://baustralianxtrail.runboard.com/t127583,offset=0
Read through the thread which starts getting interesting on page 6 and you will find details of fitting http://www.australianxtrail.com.au/files/INSTALLINGPro200.pdf

My Blog
My CarPC Install Worklog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:34 am 
Soft Roader

Thank you Revhead Kev, ill have a read and hopefully this might save me £800 ! :bow:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:58 pm 
Soft Roader

Model: T31 Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2011
Colour: Grey
Will check my air filter for any oil soon, but even if it doesn't have any, my plan is to install a basic catch can to the system.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:28 am 
Soft Roader

ok, took Revhead Kev's advice and i have fitted an oil catch can. Also I found a split in the intercooler pipe at the top of the engine bay (under the air intake) which was spray oil mist everywhere. I also fitted a new fuel filter. Its been in a week, and all seems ok apart from a couple of flat spots all of a sudden yesterday on acceleration (primed the fuel filter again and if no better will look to see if fuel lines need purging of air or something). I will check my Oil Catch Can in a few weeks - ive only got a small one fitted for now but hopefully that will be fine. I will be changing the airfilter later this weekend once ive had chance to check all the stuff i have done so far and hopefully fingers crossed the new filter will stay clean, if not, new turbo!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:34 am 
Soft Roader

Model: T31 Tekna Manual
Year/Plate: 2011
Clivvy wrote:
ok, took Revhead Kev's advice and i have fitted an oil catch can. Also I found a split in the intercooler pipe at the top of the engine bay (under the air intake) which was spray oil mist everywhere. I also fitted a new fuel filter. Its been in a week, and all seems ok apart from a couple of flat spots all of a sudden yesterday on acceleration (primed the fuel filter again and if no better will look to see if fuel lines need purging of air or something). I will check my Oil Catch Can in a few weeks - ive only got a small one fitted for now but hopefully that will be fine. I will be changing the airfilter later this weekend once ive had chance to check all the stuff i have done so far and hopefully fingers crossed the new filter will stay clean, if not, new turbo!

Which catch can did you fit?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:09 am 
Soft Roader

en eBay one, generic black aluminium catch can:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Univers ... 2749.l2649

i will check it for oil in about 2 weeks....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:20 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Take it apart and put a steel sponge in it. It helps to capture the oil particles better.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:20 pm 
Soft Roader

way ahead of you my friend ;)

it is a baffled unit, but yes i put a small aluminium / steel wool sponge in there as well