It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Droning noise coming from front o/s wheel area
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:22 pm 
Soft Roader

Hi
Any advice would be appreciated. My 2008 T31 xtrail recently had its front o/s wheel bearing replaced after the ABS magnetic strip broke away on the bearing and ABS fault warning light illuminated. After a couple of months l now have a loud droning/ rumbling noise coming from the same area. Upon closer inspection believe that the noise may be coming from the drive shaft inner support bearing. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The new bearing is fine so can rule out a faulty bearing etc...

Profile Send private message  

X-Trail-UK.co.uk
Advertisement
 Post subject: Re: Droning noise coming from front o/s wheel area
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:45 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Car:: Xtrail
Model: T31 2.0dci auto, LE
Year/Plate: 2012
Colour: Grey
Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
jmcc1889 wrote:
Hi
Any advice would be appreciated. My 2008 T31 xtrail recently had its front o/s wheel bearing replaced after the ABS magnetic strip broke away on the bearing and ABS fault warning light illuminated. After a couple of months l now have a loud droning/ rumbling noise coming from the same area. Upon closer inspection believe that the noise may be coming from the drive shaft inner support bearing. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The new bearing is fine so can rule out a faulty bearing etc...

There is no suppurt bearin on the left side. Check the bearing again. On my T30, wheel bearing lasted only 2k kms

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:05 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Model: 2.2 DCi Columbia
Year/Plate: 2006 '06
Colour: Silver
Mods: LED Sidelight bulbs!
Ahto42 wrote:
jmcc1889 wrote:
Hi

There is no suppurt bearin on the left side. Check the bearing again. On my T30, wheel bearing lasted only 2k kms

O/S in UK is right side of vehicle, so inner shaft bearing could be the culprit, although there are a number of other possible causes, including a faulty replacement bearing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:32 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Mods: Towbar, ptc heater fix, probright drl system, Eberspächer aux FBH with GSM remote.
Colster wrote:
Ahto42 wrote:
jmcc1889 wrote:
Hi

O/S in UK is right side of vehicle, so inner shaft bearing could be the culprit, although there are a number of other possible causes, including a faulty replacement bearing.

What is wrong with left and right side? :headbang: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:12 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Ahto42 wrote:
Colster wrote:
Ahto42 wrote:
jmcc1889 wrote:
Hi

What is wrong with left and right side? :headbang: :lol:

They're for Europe. We're sticking with offside and nearside, along wirh miles, gallons, pounds and ounces!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:54 am 
Soft Roader

Guys now that you have all agreed that im talking about the front o/s (drivers side) :thumbs: etc have you any suggestions as to where the noise is coming from? I have already checked the replaced wheel bearing and im 99% certain it is not faulty. The noise seems to be coming from further in but is definitely towards the o/s. The car has 89000 miles on it does this support bearing give trouble, if it is not this what could it be? I held a screwdriver against the bearing housing as the wheel was spun and there does seem to be a rumble from it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm 
Xtrail Nut

It could well be the inner shaft bearing, but the noise could be travelling along the shaft from inner drive shaft joint, or the other way from transfer box. Maybe remove the driveshaft and check joints and bearings off the vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:42 pm 
Xtrail Nut

I am driving on the left front seat and this side does not have a support bearing.

I know that I am the outsider on this forum, driving on the wrong side. :bigcry: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:28 pm 
Xtrail Nut

Ahto42 wrote:
I am driving on the left front seat and this side does not have a support bearing.

I know that I am the outsider on this forum, driving on the wrong side. :bigcry: :biggrin:

You're not an outsider, just your offside is different to our offside, as is your drivers side. Left and right side makes the most sense. Did you ever get your Autel AP200?